OS-X 10.4.3(Tiger) new install disks from apple do not boot

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by eddacker, Apr 11, 2015.

1. eddacker macrumors newbie

eddacker

Hello:
    I have an iMac with a single empty partition created by disk util. And I was going to upgrade to Lion but could not. Called Apple Care and was told to format my HDD and install original 10.4.3 Tiger then do the upgrade path.

I received in the mail today the 4 CD set of 10.4.3 Tiger install disks. I insert Install Disk 1 and start the machine with C key held during the startup chime.

And I get the gray screen with the flashing question mark folder.

Some how I was thinking that it would boot and start the install program.

Silly me.

Any ideas on how to boot this imac and get the install start_edd?

TIA, eddacker

BTW I have verified that all my hardware is good and ready for Lion. When I bought this it had a new install of Leopard and a couple of months ago I upgraded to Snow. But Lion has proved somewhat problematic.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You have not given any information about your computer. You cannot install an OS that is older than the OS that shipped with your computer. I gather that your iMac is Intel-based. If this is the case, then MacOS X 10.4.3 is too old for your computer.

3. eddacker thread starter macrumors newbie

eddacker

thanks, MisterMe

It is true that my intel mac is late 2006 or 5,1 and may have originally came with Leopard. That what was on it when I bought it earlier last year.

Trying to install either Leopard or SL with the DVDs gives errors so my support person at Apple told me that I needed Tiger and I received the disks in the mail on Friday. I cannot try to install them because the do not boot or are not seen by my core 2 duo 4GB system.

What you said may be the reason they do not boot but I am fairly new to macintosh and have no way of verifing the disks or the process.

Cheers,
    edward

4. MisterMe, Apr 12, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2015

MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Welcome to the Mac.

If indeed your iMac is an iMac5,1, then the oldest OS that it can boot is MacOS X 10.4.7. As I said before, it cannot boot MacOS X 10.4.3. In fact, no commercial Intel-based Mac can boot the older version of MacOS X 10.4. The newest OS that your iMac can boot is OS X 10.7.5. Your Mac will also boot any retail version of MacOS X 10.5 and any retail version of MacOS X 10.6. OS X 10.7 was distributed via the Mac App Store free of charge.

I gather that you received MacOS X 10.4.3 because you gave the Apple support guy some faulty information. You're a newbie; don't sweat it. However, you really need an OS X 10.6 distribution DVD. Once you have OS X 10.6 installed and fully updated, then you may upgrade to OS X 10.7 via the Mac App Store. As I said above, OS X 10.7 is free. If I remember correctly, MacOS X 10.6 is also now free for users who want to upgrade older versions of OS X to OS X 10.7 or above.

5. chrfr macrumors 603

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe