OS X 10.4 on external hd?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mcl116, Feb 7, 2009.

1. mcl116 macrumors newbie

I'm trying to setup my old powerbook as a recording computer. My recording software requires OS X 10.4 but the pb only has 10.3. So I want to put OS X 10.4 that came with my new macbook on my external drive and run the recording software off the external hd as well.

how can i do this? thanks!

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

3. hailst0rm macrumors member

You'll probably find that it will refuse to install on a powerbook if it came with your new Macbook.

You could try hooking up the drive to your new Macbook and installing 10.4 on there. Just make sure to choose Apple Partition Table when partitioning the external drive so that its compatible with the powerbook.

I've successfully installed Leopard to an external USB drive so its definitely possible.

4. mcl116 thread starter macrumors newbie

what is this whole partitioning thing? What does it do and how do I do that? thanks!

5. hailst0rm macrumors member

You can partition a disk using Disk Utility. You can find this under Utilities in your Applications folder or if you are booting from the OSX install DVD it is under Tools I think.

If you select the drive you should see a Partition tab. If you remove any existing partitions and create a new one you should see an Options tab. You can choose from GUID, APM or MBR. APM or Apple Partition Map is the one you want to select.

6. neonblue2 macrumors 6502a

Here's what you do...

1. Boot from the install disc in your MacBook
    2. Once it's booted, select Disk Utility from the Utilities menu
    3. Click on your external HDD in the sidebar and then click on Partition
    4. Change the volume scheme to however many partitions you want and then click Options...
    5. Click the radio button next to Apple Partition Map and click OK
    6. Click Apply and when it's finished, quit Disk Utility
    7. Follow the installation as normal, remembering to select the external HDD when it asks you

7. mcl116 thread starter macrumors newbie

when you say boot from the install disc what exactly do you mean? thanks.

8. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Insert CD, restart holding c.