Os X 10.5.6 Ethernet Help Please!

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by taratimbs, Mar 7, 2009.

1. taratimbs macrumors newbie

I just moved in with someone who uses ethernet, and I'm struggling to get my macbook online. At my old place, I had a wireless router and connected via airport.

When trying to connect, I could not let the DNS server setup automatically, since I would get the message that I could not connect through this self assigned IP address. So I setup the connection manually, writing in the IP, router etc info, and now it says that my ethernet IS successfully connected.

PROBLEM: I still can't get online! The network preferences state that my ethernet is connected, but I can't get on Firefox, Itunes store, or anything. I'm new to Macs (been using PCs all my life) and I'm so confused. Is there some setting I need to alter to make these programs recognize that I'm now connecting through ethernet? I turned my airport off, but is there somewhere I need to make ethernet my default or something? Help would be appreciated, I'm clueless! :confused:

2. belvdr macrumors 603

How are you connected to the Internet? Is there just a switch/hub between you and the DSL/cable line?

3. taratimbs thread starter macrumors newbie

There's a router, a Motorola surfboard SB5120.

4. belvdr macrumors 603

That's a cable modem, not a router.

My former cable company limited how many MAC addresses it would communicate with (in my case, it was 4). I recommend calling the ISP and asking them. If your roommate had already connected other devices before yours, it could definitely be the issue.

The way around this is to get another router, so the ISP only sees the MAC address of the router. All other clients are routed behind the new router, thus the ISP doesn't see their MAC addresses.