OS X 10.5.6 install failed - combo update refuses to install

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kolax, Dec 23, 2008.

1. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

I'm installing 10.5.6 on the family MacBook (white) and it was running 10.5.4 previously, yet hanged when I was updating everything (there was a few updates) so I had to force power off.

The Mac says it is running 10.5.6, but I wanted to apply the combo update to be safe. However, it fails when installing (it doesn't get to the stage where it reboots, still in OS X at this stage). It says "The installer could not install some files in "/".

Also, repairing Disk Permissions failed too.

Prior to the update, everything was working fine - I'm usually full of ideas, but when it is your Mac that is playing up I'm very keen to hear what others have to say.

2. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

kolax

Yeah none of those help me. The MacBook boots up into OS X, it doesn't hang on boot like the others were having problems with. I'm worried about the disk - I'll try repairing the disk once I've backed up.

EDIT: I've backed up the disk now and verified the disk and it appears OK. However, the OS X directory isn't (repairing permissions gives me "the underlying task reported failure on exit").

Urgh, I don't have much time to fix this, I need a quick fix to repair the directory so I can install the combo update again.