os x 10.5 install on macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MacHappytjg, Apr 4, 2008.

1. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

ok so i'm fed up with osx 10.4 and want to get leopard on my macbook
    since i dont have the money to buy my own discs i want to know if what i want to try will work.... so here is what i want to do... will it work if i put my 1st gen macbook in target mode and install leopard on my friends iMac ilu.. ive done this with a imac g5 and putting it on a g3 and i just want to be sure if this will work will it? oh and single user retail leopard dvd only work with one computer?

2. thesdx macrumors 6502a

No, because the restore discs for an iMac won't work on a MacBook. Also, the single user DVD will actually install on more than one computer, but it violates the EULA.

3. MacHappytjg thread starter macrumors 65816

yea but im putting my macbook in target mode and installing on the imac onto my targeted computer (macbook) which is lik a external firwire drive

4. logana macrumors 65816

logana

I think you are getting confused about target mode - you probably used target mode to load an OS onto the iBook because it did not have a dvd drive and the OS came on dvd.

Putting a machine into target mode means that the machine in target mode becomes in effect a hard drive (or optical drive) that your other Mac can use.

Putting your MacBook into target mode will enable the iMac to use the MacBook's hard drive and optical drive which will achieve nothing that I can see.

It sounds like you want to copy the OS from the iMac to the MacBook ?

Presumably because the iMac has leopard and the MacBook doesn't ?

5. MacHappytjg thread starter macrumors 65816

ok no wiat
    so my friend has a imac g3 right and then my brother has imac g5 discs and dont work on the imac g3 so i put his in target mode and he has a dvd and it recognized it as a external firewire drive so then i installed 10.4 on that drive and now its on my friends imac g3 can i do that to my macbook since the dvd wont work on the macbook cause its meant for the imac i think it s gunna work so maybe i confused u to confuse me and every ones confused!:D

6. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Yes - I think we are all confused.

Do you have a retail copy of Leopard ?

If yes, then "technically" you can install it straight on to the MacBook - Target mode does not enter into the equation.

It is a breach of the ELU as has been pointed out already.

7. MacHappytjg thread starter macrumors 65816

no ok it worked i got leopard i put my macbook into target mode and installed it off a imac ilu and it worked perfectly

8. myuserid08 macrumors 6502

If your fed up with tiger dont upgrade to leopard just yet. Wait until 10.5.3 is released (hopefully soon).

Why do you need to install from an iMac, doesn't your cd/dvd drive work on your macbook?

9. MacHappytjg thread starter macrumors 65816

too late so this is waht i did my friend has restore discs for a imac intel core duo 2 and of course it wont work on a macbook 1st gen so this is waht i did i put my macbook in target mode and installed osx onto the firwire drive using his computer and now i have it

10. myuserid08 macrumors 6502

Yes and breaching the license terms!

11. logana macrumors 65816

logana

The install of Leopard does not appear to have fixed his keyboard though...some of the keys must be swapped around and the comma and period don't seem to work anymore.....

At least he is happy....

12. MacHappytjg thread starter macrumors 65816

huh what about keyboards

13. MacHappytjg thread starter macrumors 65816

oops there

14. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

That is why WE pay more for our copies.

15. myuserid08 macrumors 6502

Your an idiot, you shouldn't be posting information like that in a public forum. Hopefully they will catch up with you shortly!

16. logana macrumors 65816

logana

seconded

...water off a duck.........

17. MacHappytjg thread starter macrumors 65816

what information ? and why do people sell copys they used on ebay go bitch to them