OS X 10.5 Install problems

Discussion in 'macOS' started by appleontheapex, Dec 30, 2012.

1. appleontheapex macrumors newbie

I'm trying to install Leopard on my G4 Mac Mini from USB. After poking around in OF mode I got the thing to boot off of the USB (a proper clone of my DVD). My happiness was soon shattered when I got past the Apple logo screen and a blue screen. I was presented with a grey screen and a 'beach ball'. I saw the USB usage indicator light was on so I left it for a few hours with no success.

Any suggestions? I've reset the SMC and PRAM.

2. SuperJudge macrumors 6502

SuperJudge

My experience has been that booting off of USB on most PowerPC Macs is a sketchy proposition. Do you have a FireWire external hard drive you could boot off of? Is there a reason you can't boot off of the DVD itself?

3. appleontheapex thread starter macrumors newbie

The DVD was scratched to hell when I bought it, so I made an ISO of it in case it got too scratched to be read. I lent tit to a friend and now the DVD is gone soooo...

I found a solution, however. I created an 8GB partition on the main drive, and restored it from the USB drive, so it would act like an install disk. It worked, and I have it installed now! Very very very slow, but it works