Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dieseltwitch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2008
Ok so i just got OS X 10.5 Server and im trying to setup a VPN so i can have access to my drives and from the road. im not an IT Guy so im i have never done this before. so could some one either direct me through the process or point me to site that has a step by step.

just for your info

I have a Static IP address from my ISP
I'm running an iMac and and AirPort Extreme

i think i setup up the server and and started the VPN but im not 100% sure i did it right

dieseltwitch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2008
Ok so i think i got it figured out as far as setting it up. but what i cant get working the the port mapping on the airport extreme. i tried 22 and 80 and i when i did a port scan they show up as open but thats as far as i got. i cant get any thing to connect.

I get a "Connection failed" message.

some one help.

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
Last time I tried setting up OS X Server as a gateway / VPN, it was under Tiger Server. Unfortunately, it was a real pain to configure and I found the performance and reliability to be unsatisfactory (on a Dual 2.0GHz PowerMac G5).

Most people will get better results with a standalone VPN router. Linksys makes some affordable models like the RV042 that are worth checking out.

I used to use a Netopia VPN router for my own home network. It's a tricky one to configure, but since I'd done it so many times for paying clients it was no big deal for me to do it at home. But since I have MobileMe, I started just using Back To My Mac. It's really much more painless than setting up PPTP or IPsec VPN connections, and you don't need OS X Server or a fancy router to use it.

If you don't have MobileMe, look into a program called ShareTool from that also sets up Bonjour over encrypted WAN connections:

http://yazsoft.com/products/sharetool/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.