OS X 10.6.8 seems to be falling apart on me.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jeffreyk, Sep 7, 2011.

1. jeffreyk macrumors regular

jeffreyk

The last 24 hours have been very interesting. I'll try to be brief but will describe in full what happened to try to get some help.

For three years my 2008 Mac Pro (3,1) with 10 GB of Memory has worked admirably without a hitch. Smooth sailing all this time. I was cleaning out my office, listening to some music thru the Radium App, and the music just stopped. I tried to access radio on iTunes to see if it was just a Radium issue, but no luck as no music was playing. Then I went on Safari and couldn't get an Internet connection. Same with Chrome - no access. It seemed like my Ethernet port died on me as I couldn't access the Internet from my Mac Pro at all. Just to mention: My wife's iMac, our iPhones, and our iPads were able to access the web via our network just fine from our Airport Extreme Base Station. (My wife's iMac accesses the Internet via Wi-Fi; I access it thru my Ethernet port). Also, everything besides the Internet connectivity works just fine as I'm able to access my documents just fine and as quickly like before this happened.

The Mac Pro couldn't recognize the AEBS, then it could, back-and-forth, on again off again. The times the AEBS was recognized I got no Internet access, I couldn't get on the Internet via Chrome, Firefox, or Safari. When I could get web access I deleted Chrome (wasn't too thrilled with it anyway), reinstalled Safari, installed Firefox, deleted and reinstalled Safari again. I switched out the Ethernet cable to make sure it wasn't causing issues, did system diagnostics, and still no Internet connectivity. After a few hours on the phone to Apple Support, we got the Internet working "okay" but my Mac Pro's Mail and Web performance -- and all the old snappiness -- went completely away. Waiting on many websites to load and render were like the old days of the baud modem. Yep, pretty bad.

We finally got to doing a Disk Verify to see if the HDD was corrupted and it was. I properly repaired my HDD with the Snow Leopard Install Disc and it seems my Mail is pretty much back to normal (still seemingly a second or two slower) but my Internet connection is really making getting on the web very irritating. Part, if not most, of my business involves being on the web so having to wait like I am currently am is just killing me. My once snappy Mac Pro isn't snappy at all any more as many websites that used to fully load in seconds now take 15, 20, 30, and even up to 60 seconds to fully load. If I go on to new websites the wait gets to be very long as well.

So, what to do? This is my first really big problem with anything Mac related since fully switching from Windows three years ago so I don't quite know how to proceed. Do I look for a new Ethernet card, do I clean install Snow Leopard entirely and start from scratch, I have no idea if it's this or something in between.

Thanks in advance for your help in this matter.

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

You are using ethernet, not wifi right? I was having problems with my wife's mini dropping wifi in Lion. I got disgusted and then remembered I had pulled a gigabit ethernet wire within 8 feet of her machine. I pulled the wire the rest of the way and disabled airport. Problem solved. In your case, I suspect the ethernet hardware.

The problem with popping in an ethernet card is you might have a hard time finding one that is supported in OS X. Still it's worth a try. Another thing to try is to stop using the ethernet and try wifi. If you have an AEBS you already have 802.11n which is "almost as good" as gigabit ethernet. I routinely get 270 MBPS on my Macbook which is down the hall from my AEBS.

Lastly I'm tempted to recommend a wipe and install. Well not exactly. I suggest you consider a new hard drive. 3 years is the limit for those things. Why not pick up a new HDD and an SATA to USB cable, use CCC to clone everything over (which is just about as good as a wipe and install because files are copied not sectors). Reboot holding option and boot from the new HDD you just cloned. If it boots, go ahead and make it your main HDD and use the old one for less important data. I use a Segate Momentus XT "hybrid SSD" which is only about 10% more expensive than a normal 7200 RPM drive but is a lot faster to boot and to launch apps. While it is not as fast as a true SSD, I'm quite happy with the performance.

3. jeffreyk thread starter macrumors regular

jeffreyk

I'm not experienced at all at these types of upgrades, and I've never replaced a hard drive, so this is new territory for me.

So, does this mean I can get let's say a blank/unused/new 1TB hard drive place it in Drive Bay 1 in my Mac Pro, move the current drive which is in Drive Bay 1 to Drive Bay 2, load up my Mac Pro with the Snow Leopard Install Disc, and install a clean version of Snow Leopard on the new 1TB drive now in Drive Bay 1?

If I keep my original hard drive (which I'm using now) and place it in Drive Bay 2 then couldn't I transfer some of the Apps and their contents (like photos in iPhoto) to the new drive without having to use something like CCC? I also have an external G-Drive as my external backup drive so I could also do a full system backup that way too to access once the new drive is installed with Snow Leopard.

Is it this simple to do?