OS X 10.6.8 weirdness?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Bowlerguy10, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Bowlerguy10 macrumors 6502

Hey all,

I installed the 10.6.8 update several days back when it first came out. Since then I've experienced several oddities that I wanted to see if anyone else was having.

The first is in regards to screen brightness. When I go to bed I sometimes have the Macbook Pro encoding something in Handbrake and thus I leave it on. I mute the volume and turn the screen brightness all the way down using the shortcut buttons on the keyboard. Lately, the screen will pop on after several minutes and I will have to manually go and hit the brightness down button once to get it to black again.

The second that I experienced last night and this morning was my touchpad only registering about a third of my clicks. I would sit at a page and click something 2,3,4 times before it would register. As you can imagine, taking a screenshot in Skitch with this issue became tiresome. I ended up restarting the computer this morning and the touchpad gremlins have gone away, at least for now. The brightness I'm not sure about. It was sporadic anyway. Has anyone else experienced anything like this after the latest OS X Snow Leopard update?

- Cody

2. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

do you have automatic brightness enabled under System Preferences? there might be a slight bug under there somewhere. but i haven't encountered either of those issues with 10.6.8

3. Bowlerguy10 thread starter macrumors 6502

No, auto brightness is disabled.

4. iwan073 macrumors regular

iwan073

Hmmm. I read your problems with your touchpad.
    Think this might be the same reason why my magic mouse doesn't register my right-clicks all the time?
    Sometimes I have to right-click several times before it actually brings up a menu.

5. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

i have noticed some weird things as well. basically everything has returned to normal with time but the only thing still awkward is it takes the backlight in the keyboard an extra 1-2 secs to light up when lifting the lid/waking the computer.

6. Sunday Ironfoot macrumors regular

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

That happens to me in 10.6.7, and I think it did in 10.6.6 too (which is what my machine shipped with).

8. Bowlerguy10 thread starter macrumors 6502

It seems like several of us are experiencing issues after the 10.6.8 update. I wonder if this is widespread or if it's just a small group of us. Luckily Lion is around the corner and I'm sure that will fix or tweak most of the issues that we are having.

9. Stok3 macrumors regular

i havent had any brightness issues but i have experienced touchpad problems. Also both Safari and Chrome are slow to render pages. I tried firefox 5 but it was already slow to begin with:p

10. engineerbecki macrumors newbie

engineerbecki

No wierdness with screen dimming here on 10.6.8 ...

But have you guys noticed something wierd about the update?
    I noticed a difference in update size of 10.6.8. On my macbook air, it was something like 200 + mb, but on my iMac, it was 400mb. I wonder what's up with that difference?

Beck

11. BCuz macrumors newbie

After having the same screen problems, especially going to bed at night and waking up spooked that my screen randomly turned on, I started messing with the power settings and seem to have isolated the problem.

If you go into your System Preferences under Energy Saver, uncheck the "Automatically Reduce Brightness Before Display Goes to Sleep" option. That immediately fixed the screen from coming back on.

If other folks want to confirm whether that works across the board, that'd be helpful in self-diagnosing this problem without input from Apple.