OS X 10.6 Freezing on Quit

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by iCmdQ, Apr 7, 2017.

1. iCmdQ macrumors newbie

Hello,

Recently my mac has started freezing whenever I quit an application. I first noticed it with GarageBand, then TenFourFox and then iTunes. When it happens the whole OS freezes, meaning I can't force quit, restart etc. I get the spinning pinwheel and then I'm stuck until I manually shut down using the power button.

Any ideas on a cause/fix? I'm considering wiping it clean and reinstalling everything, but that's kind of a last resort. Is there something I can try in the meantime, like deleting preferences or something of that nature?

Thanks!

P.S., I have a G5 tower. I don't have the exact specs right now because I'm at work, but I can get them later if necessary.

2. AmazingHenry macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

First of all, 10.6 doesn't run on G5 towers, or any PowerPC Mac. I'll assume you have 10.5.

Open Activity Monitor and share a screenshot of the processes. Maybe you have something running in the background causing this.

3. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

You could try opening disk utility and doing a repair disk permissions, as well as a verify disk on your main hard drive partition (likely named Macintosh HD unless you renamed it). Repair permissions will fix some problems with apps, and could potentially fix your issue. Verifying the disk will tell you if your Hard drive is corrupted or dying. If it fails, then you will need an OS X 10.4/10.5 disk, boot it up, then open disk utility and select repair disk. If it fails again, then your issue is likely a failing HDD. Another thing you can try is swapping the RAM around in the G5. If you have some spare, you can try swapping out the sticks with different ones until the problem stops. In the event that doesn't work, or you don't have any spare RAM, repaired permissions, and you verified the Hard Drive is not failing, then I'd recommend doing a fresh install.

4. iCmdQ thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, I'm sure you're right. I just remember it was the last version that ran on a non-Intel mac. Thanks, I'll try that.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 7, 2017 ---
    Thanks. These are the types of suggestions I was looking for. I'll try these as well and report back.

5. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

I'm with Nick, check the hard drive. It's a seems typical for a drive thats on the way out...

6. iCmdQ thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm thinking you guys are right about the hard drive. I tried to repair permissions, but that crashes my computer as well (same with verifying permissions). I am thankful that it's actually giving me a little warning so I have a chance to make sure everything's backed up that needs to be.

7. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

If you have an OS X install disk, I recommend trying to repair from there as well. But I'm willing to bet it's indeed the hard drive dying