Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jcollinsphotog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2014
a long time windows xp user and its going away but i will us XP....of course moved to the Mac OS

i have purchased 10.6 DVD sometime ago but want to know can i use it for a while even though there are new Mac OS made almost yearly

i know i have to keep up with security but i just can't keep on buy a new DVD (OS) every single time and am very happy with 10.6

another problem as most will have, new Mac OS will not work with my old hardware, my Mac Pro is still running, all i do is replace HDD

thank you,
-------------------
noob
Mac Pro
2GHz dual core Intel Xeon
ATI Radeo X1900 XT 512 MB
Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
You can keep using 10.6 Snow Leopard as long as you want to. The most current version is 10.6.8. If your hardware could support Mavericks, you could download that free, after installing Snow Leopard and applying free updates.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
There are workarounds to getting Mavericks to work on a Mac Pro 1,1 and 2,1. So you could be up to date if you really wanted to. Although you may need to update the GPU. Which you can get a compatible card pretty cheap if you choose the right PC version.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
Yes, as stated above, but Apple no longer supports Snow Leopard. Their support now only goes back as far as Lion (10.7). I don't know what you have, but are you sure you can't run Lion or Mountain lion?

If you continue to run both Snow Leopard and Windoze XP - you are then running two OSs no longer supported.

Lou

OS6-OSX

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2004
California
If you decide to try other OS's, just dual boot. I have 10.6.8 partitioned with XP home on one drive and 10.8.5 on another. As you may know some apps that run in SN won't run in ML. A few of the companies have gone under and never wrote 64bit versions.

ZVH

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2012
You might find the following graph interesting:

https://www.gosquared.com/mavericks/

Move your mouse cursor over the graphs to get statistics. The graph is actually in months but mine is showing the x-axis like it's in days. I don't know how long they'll keep that link active. For some reason the link seems a little squirrelly on Safari right now. As of it's latest date it shows a little more than 50% using Mavericks, with Mountain Lion, Lion, and Snow Leopard all roughly in the vicinity of 15% with the less than 5% being Leopard and Tiger.

Personally, I think each one has its benefits and disadvantages, and I'd be happy using any of them. Obviously some people with Intel's can't upgrade to other OS's, and someone with a PPC can't go beyond Leopard.

If you want to make yourself feel better, try out Windows 8. :D

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
Did any of you bloody read the OP's post? Sure as hell doesn't seem like it.

OP, You can keep using Snow Leopard as long as the machine works. If the HD fails, place in another and start from the OS Disk. Then go about an install as usual.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
Did any of you bloody read the OP's post? Sure as hell doesn't seem like it.

OP, You can keep using Snow Leopard as long as the machine works. If the HD fails, place in another and start from the OS Disk. Then go about an install as usual.

Did you bloody read the second post in the thread? Sure as hell doesn't seem like it.

You can keep using 10.6 Snow Leopard as long as you want to. The most current version is 10.6.8. If your hardware could support Mavericks, you could download that free, after installing Snow Leopard and applying free updates.

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
Did you bloody read the second post in the thread? Sure as hell doesn't seem like it.

Yes I did, I paid attention to which Mac Pro the OP has. So there is no point in talking about Mavericks or anything more. The OP cares about Snow Leopard nothing else.

jcollinsphotog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2014
thank you EVERYBODY

thank you for all the comments, it was very helpful, TY G4DP and brand

If your hardware could support Mavericks, you could download that free, after installing Snow Leopard and applying free updates.
TY, i will have to check oh the Mavericks OS specs but really i can get the OS for free, TY TY

Yes, as stated above, but Apple no longer supports Snow Leopard.
Lou

yes i figured that but is there security updates/protection still and yeah i do not do dual boot

If you decide to try other OS's, just dual boot. I have 10.6.8 partitioned with XP home on one drive and 10.8.5 on another. As you may know some apps that run in SN won't run in ML. A few of the companies have gone under and never wrote 64bit versions.
yes that is a grand idea, I do have 3 HDD, i dual boot my Linux/XP LoL

THANKS again everybody

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
TY, i will have to check oh the Mavericks OS specs but really i can get the OS for free, TY TY
Yes, Mavericks is a free upgrade for everyone who has a compatible computer. The only reason you need to buy Snow Leopard first is Mavericks is only available via the App Store, and you can only access the App Store if you have Snow Leopard (10.6.6) or later.

jcollinsphotog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2014
TY, GGJstudios

i will check specs and go to APP store....must important i do have to check my other software version like LR will work on Maverick first

Draeconis

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008
Your computer doesn't support Mavericks officially, the highest OS available to you is Lion, but I'm not sure Lion is available to download in the App Store any more.

You can get Mavericks running, using the impressive work of people like Tiamo , but you'll need to get a new graphics card as the 1900xt isn't supported in Mavericks and won't run.

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2007
As you may know some apps that run in SN won't run in ML. A few of the companies have gone under and never wrote 64bit versions.
Would you have a list of such apps? Should I get Mavericks only supports Intel 64 executables? Because about 1/3 of the applications I'm using are Intel (32 bits).

yes i figured that but is there security updates/protection still and yeah i do not do dual boot
As far as I know, no more security updates are created for SL.

CptSky

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2013
Would you have a list of such apps? Should I get Mavericks only supports Intel 64 executables? Because about 1/3 of the applications I'm using are Intel (32 bits).

I still run few 32 bits applications on Mavericks. 32 bits applications are still supported. It's the 32 bits processors & EFI that aren't supported by the OS. Plus, since Lion, Rosetta has been dropped, meaning you can no longer run PPC applications. It shouldn't be an issue.

jcollinsphotog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2014
Your computer doesn't support Mavericks officially, the highest OS available to you is Lion, but I'm not sure Lion is available to download in the App Store any more.

You can get Mavericks running, using the impressive work of people like Tiamo , but you'll need to get a new graphics card as the 1900xt isn't supported in Mavericks and won't run.

TY for help and Tiamo, i could replace video card

mainly this is a older computer running the photo software program to edit photos, i have been happy with it and of course purchased all the software, it would cost me a lot to get new computers and software, so this is why i asked how long could i continue using my Pro and 10.6

----------

As far as I know, no more security updates are created for SL.
oh man this is sad news......
i used this older computer running software program to edit photos, i have been happy with it and of course purchased all the software

it would cost me a lot to get new computers and software, so this is why i asked how long could i continue using my Pro and 10.6, so guess no security and support updates then i need to take it off the internet

i will continue using it till it breaks down and add new updates hardware to catch up to the current Mac OS lol

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
AFIAK if you're on a Mac Pro 1,1, Lion is still available on the App Store for you.

macuser453787

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2012
Galatians 3:13-14
If you have a spare hard drive to test with, you can try cloning your 10.6 drive to the spare test drive, buy Lion (10.7) from Apple for $20, use the Lion install to update your spare test drive to 10.7, download all the 10.7 updates via Software Update, and then try running your 32-bit apps.

If it works, great! You will then have an OS installed that Apple still supports (according to one of these previous posts) and will therefore continue to get security updates.

If it doesn't work, no biggie. You only spent $20 on the 10.7 installer to find that out, and you still have your original 10.6 boot drive intact and untouched.

:)

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2007
That's what I stated above! There's no AFAIK about it! No More Support Period!!!!!
I always prefer to be a little more reserved when I don't have any hard source :)

It's the 32 bits processors & EFI that aren't supported by the OS. Plus, since Lion, Rosetta has been dropped, meaning you can no longer run PPC applications. It shouldn't be an issue.
Loss of 32 bit CPU support isn't an issue. They have been 64 bits for quite a while now. On the other hand, dropped PowerPC compatibility is an issue, believe it or not. Many older, high-end (meaning perfectly comparable to current offerings) peripherals didn't have their drivers updated for the new architecture, yet Apple hasn't built a proper replacement for them.

Knowing Mac OS X is a UNIX system, I hope to be tweaking one of my Raspberry Pis to take care of them while exporting display and controls to the Mac. Or use MacPorts if possible. Still an ugly workaround.

I'd rather see "impressive work" related to PowerPC compatibility, and reverting newer OS X to a "usable state" like Snow Leopard was. Since Lion, you need to perform many tricks before the machine feels as before.

Draeconis

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008
I always prefer to be a little more reserved when I don't have any hard source :)

Loss of 32 bit CPU support isn't an issue. They have been 64 bits for quite a while now. On the other hand, dropped PowerPC compatibility is an issue, believe it or not. Many older, high-end (meaning perfectly comparable to current offerings) peripherals didn't have their drivers updated for the new architecture, yet Apple hasn't built a proper replacement for them.

Knowing Mac OS X is a UNIX system, I hope to be tweaking one of my Raspberry Pis to take care of them while exporting display and controls to the Mac. Or use MacPorts if possible. Still an ugly workaround.

I'd rather see "impressive work" related to PowerPC compatibility, and reverting newer OS X to a "usable state" like Snow Leopard was. Since Lion, you need to perform many tricks before the machine feels as before.

Peripheral drivers aren't always Apple's responsibility. Developers and hardware manufacturers were warned PowerPC was on the way out for years. If you want drivers, speak to the OEM concerned; they're the ones trying to make you buy their new products.

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2007
Peripheral drivers aren't always Apple's responsibility. Developers and hardware manufacturers were warned PowerPC was on the way out for years. If you want drivers, speak to the OEM concerned; they're the ones trying to make you buy their new products.
That's probably the reason why they don't have any plans to release a non-PowerPC driver. They said I would get 10% off a new hardware. Besides being not very interesting, my hardware works fine and fits my needs, thank you. Why would I get rid of it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.