Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

185530-snowleopard_400.jpg

MacNotes.de

Apple has seeded WWDC developers with an early release of Mac OS X 10.6 'Snow Leopard' today. A photo of the installation disc was posted to MacNotes.de. Meanwhile, a site called OrchardSpy claims to have posted screenshots from the actual installation and reveals a build number of 10A96:

010639-2.jpg

OrchardSpy

Article Link

ert3

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2007
kewl. lets hope for a leak on preformance and features.

nintyuser

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2008
That was noticeably new in the System Prefs. it says 32-bit.

I know it's the first build to the public and a dev copy but i wonder if 64-bit would have anything different under the menu. :D

noloveIII

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2008
Well, it is installed on a 32-bit processor so it looks like snow leopard will have full 64-bit kernel with a separate 32-bit kernel for the first gen intel macs and ppc macs

aLoC

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2006
Apple are claiming it is a lot more efficient than 10.5, so it would be good if we could see how much mem is in use at end of startup (for example).

mmendoza27

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2007
I'm excited about this, I'm hoping the developers can give us more information and I'd like to see how it will take advantage of dual-core machines. This is going to be a great move and especially if they allow us to start using that GPU power, I'm expecting a lot of speed improvements on new Intel machines.

Especially once Nehalem comes out, that's when I'll pick up Snow Leopard.

wallaby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
Iowa
Hey guys, check this out:
6386p4

What do you suppose "Remote Install OS X" is? Or is this something having to do with being a build?

sebastianlewis

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2007
San Francisco
Hmm, streamlined, more secure? OK I have a ton of questions:

1. Is PPC dropped yet?
2. Has Apple started using code signing for anything other than what they currently are?
3. What is the difference in battery life between a laptop playing a movie in Quicktime on Leopard and a laptop playing a movie in Quicktime X on Snow Leopard?
4. Does Apple bundle MacPorts?
5. Will Apple add in any sort of package manager or app manager at all? If not, then will they at least provide a way for developers to plug-in to Software Update?
6. Will X11 finally not suck?
7. Does OpenCL use CUDA and does it work with both NVIDIA and ATI cards?
8. Will QuartzGL finally be turned on by default?
9. Will the rest of Carbon finally be officially depreciated?
10. Will Apple open source their Java implementation?
11. Now that the WebKit team has a new JavaScript interpreter, will they follow in the footsteps of Mozilla in adding features newer than JS1.5, and will they add features from ECMAscript, and in particular, IronMonkey?
12. Will they redesign the Firewall security pane to include more features from ipfw?
13. Will they make it boot able from a ZFS volume?
14. Will the file manager finally have write FTP support?
15. Will they add support for /proc?
16. Will the directory structure be more in line with the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard?
17. Will the Cocoa Touch APIs be partially or wholly merged into Mac OS X?
18. Will they finally add Attributes to the Finder?
19. Will ELF compatibility be added?
20. Will the Help System be overhauled and that evil floating window destroyed?

No clearly I'm not expecting a yes to all of these, but each of them could be a piece of the foundation for future work on Mac OS X.... heh.

Sebastian

^ me? why not? look at what it adds http://www.apple.com/macosx/snowleopard/

AAAHHHHH... while I was making a list of 20 questions... Apple put this page up? Dammit, I looked earlier and the page didn't exist at that time.

Sebastian

aLoC

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2006
What do you suppose "Remote Install OS X" is? Or is this something having to do with being a build?

That's already in 10.5. I think it's something to do with installing OS X on a Mac with no DVD drive.

aLoC

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2006
8. Will QuartzGL finally be turned on by default?

I think Apple already resolved that question in an unexpected way. They decided that it was not going to be a system wide setting at all, and not going to be user adjustable. But rather it will be something that individual developers can turn on for their app if they feel it is the kind of app that will benefit. That is the final solution and is how it will be go forward.

sebastianlewis

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2007
San Francisco
I think Apple already resolved that question in an unexpected way. They decided that it was not going to be a system wide setting at all, and not going to be user adjustable. But rather it will be something that individual developers can turn on for their app if they feel it is the kind of app that will benefit. That is the final solution and is how it will be go forward.

Thanks, I knew it was set by the developer in Leopard but I didn't know it was going to remain like that.

Sebastian

Genghis Khan

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
balahir said:
I know this has been discussed previously, but who is going to pay for this release?

i'll pay for it, the speed increase is always worth it:) but that said, a lot of non-power users won't see the value in a new operating system that doesn't add any 'features'

i'm expecting at least 10-20% speed bump across the board, and that makes it cheap at $129

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.