Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wallaby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
Iowa
At first notice I thought the logo was pretty much the same, but now I notice the subtle changes...

Whereas Leopard had a sort of purple spiral galaxy atop the space field but behind the shining black 'X', Snow Leopard has more of a soft purple "northern lights" glow, which rises just above the 'X', signaling both the wintery north and the slight apparent differences from Leopard. I suppose the white dots could still be stars, but snowflakes were my immediate reaction. I still wish they'd do away with the space theme; Time Machine isn't the entire system.

Genghis Khan

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Quillz said:
So, does this confirm that Snow Leopard will only run on Intel processors?

actually...i think you may have something

if the point of snow leopard is to be faster and have a 'smaller footprint', PPC support would be the first thing to go?

also, as snow leopard is all about refining OS X etc , doesn't that mean that relatively average users could use it?

if the point of snow leopard is to be faster and have a 'smaller footprint', PPC support would be the first thing to go?

Unless the install process installs non-universal library versions of the OS, PPC gets PPC version and Intel gets the Intel version, both having the useless code pre-removed without having to use xslimmer or some such.

edit: as far as that goes, if the system became smart enough to remove the useless code from applications as they are installed (stripping out of the UB the PPC or Intel code), that would be awesome!

Bye Bye Baby

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2004
i(am in the)cloud
Me too

I'm excited about this, I'm hoping the developers can give us more information and I'd like to see how it will take advantage of dual-core machines. This is going to be a great move and especially if they allow us to start using that GPU power, I'm expecting a lot of speed improvements on new Intel machines.

Especially once Nehalem comes out, that's when I'll pick up Snow Leopard.

I think Nahlem and Snow Leopard will be a great combination. Nahlem should be quadcore and a real beast. If SL can take advantage of that, then we are laughing.

TheNightPhoenix

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2005

also, as snow leopard is all about refining OS X etc , doesn't that mean that relatively average users could use it?

Well all those apps in the screen shots say universal not intel, so I'm guessing either it's still PCC and somehow the apps have been shrunk, or Intel only but it can still detect how the app was compile once it's stripped the PPC code.

Also aren't the size of apps effected by the language support, maybe the developer preview is english only?

paintballer

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2006
Utah
The size difference can't be explained by being Intel only. Look at Activity Monitor. The binary is less than a megabyte, so it obviously can't cause 14MB size difference.

edit: as far as that goes, if the system became smart enough to remove the useless code from applications as they are installed (stripping out of the UB the PPC or Intel code), that would be awesome!
It probably wouldn't be too hard...the lipo tool included with OS X can strip a UB.

Well all those apps in the screen shots say universal not intel, so I'm guessing either it's still PCC and somehow the apps have been shrunk, or Intel only but it can still detect how the app was compile once it's stripped the PPC code.
Unlikely. If you strip the UB yourself it will update to display the appropriate architecture.

TheNightPhoenix said:
Also aren't the size of apps effected by the language support, maybe the developer preview is english only?

Seems more likely.

djellison

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2007
Pasadena CA
App file sizes 10.5/10.6

Activity Monitor 15.9/2 (12.6%)
Audio Midi Setup 13.4/2 (14.9%)
Directory Utility 58.8/3.6 (6.1%)
Grapher 76.2/5.6 (7.3%)

I'm not sure how or why - but as I see it, these Leopard utilities are 80% bloat. That's shocking. Surely they don't put every language in to every app - that wold be utter madness.

Doug

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Surely they don't put every language in to every app - that wold be utter madness.

You can select which languages to use when you install OS X. The vast majority of the apps are localised. My English-only 10.5 app sizes are:

Activity Monitor 2.7 MB
Audio MIDI Setup 2.1 MB
Directory Utility 5.5 MB
Grapher 8.2 MB

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
DVD Player 5.1… high def support? Please? :)

DVD Player 5.0.1 in Leopard 10.5.3 supports unencrypted HD-DVDs and Blu-Ray discs just fine. (I have put home movies and EyeTV recordings onto HD-DVD compliant discs for playback on my HD-DVD player. DVD Player in Leopard plays them just fine. It even tries to play commercial HD-DVDs, but fails due to the DRM. I don't have a Blu-ray drive, so I can't try "real" Blu-Ray discs, but mounting a Toast-created Blu-ray disc image, it won't play.)

All that needs to happen is for Apple to license the DRM schemes for both. Which, with Apple's push into digital movie distribution, I doubt will happen.

As for the possible removal of PPC? It would explain the smaller files. We just need to see a screenshot of a "Get Info" on, say, Safari. It is nice to know that it will support 32-bit Intel machines, at least. Us early adopters won't be left out in the cold. And 10.5 has full GUI-level support for 64-bit, so they wouldn't go backwards there. Apple is touting the improved 64-bit support, such as for much more RAM. (Could this be a sign of an upcoming "big iron" server? Maybe a 4-way, 8-core Nehalem with 16 or even 32 RAM sockets?)

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I know this has been discussed previously, but who is going to pay for this release?

Millions of happy customers. :D

If it improves performance, use of multiple processors, and use of graphics cards for high performance computing, then: Everybody with a MacPro, everybody with a graphics card, and probably the requirements for installation will be reduced to G4 at 533 MHz (single processor) or 400 MHz (dual processor).

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I'm not sure how or why - but as I see it, these Leopard utilities are 80% bloat. That's shocking. Surely they don't put every language in to every app - that wold be utter madness.

Absolutely not. With this setup, anybody can go to any Macintosh and use any application in their own language. Hard drive space is much less than one dollar per GB today. Hopefully people will realize that PPC versions will _not_ be removed to save space. As an example, Safari is about 65 MB. Code (x86 + PPC) is about 3 MB. Danish localization is 3.4 MB. Get over it, people. PowerPC code is here to stay. :D

Nightkrawler

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2006
Vienna, Austria
(from macnotes.de)
it seems that they are replacing aqua.

Attachments

• Picture 5.jpg
    Picture 5.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 1,180
  • Picture 5_found.jpg
    Picture 5_found.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 1,554

speakerwizard

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2006
London
I know this has been discussed previously, but who is going to pay for this release?

These sort of upgrades and features are far more important than something like a new widget etc. Its actually quite refreshing news about this update, I'm sure they will stick a couple of 'consumer viewable' things in their but it good to hear they a concentrating on refining whats their and adding a lot of high performance technology, Everyone will benefit from average apps multi-threading, Its software finally beginning to catch up with these great new multi-core cpus, I would love everything to take advantage on my mac pro, rather than just my pro apps and handbrake.

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2008
You can select which languages to use when you install OS X. The vast majority of the apps are localised. My English-only 10.5 app sizes are:

Activity Monitor 2.7 MB
Audio MIDI Setup 2.1 MB
Directory Utility 5.5 MB
Grapher 8.2 MB

Exactly, I use English and German only, and I get the 2.7 for Activity Monitor, 2.4 for Audio MIDI Setup and so on. So it's just the installed languages I guess. And maybe some other little tweaks. But forget about the 14 MB and stuff..that's only when you have ALL languages (aka a standard installation out of the box)

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
I think Nahlem and Snow Leopard will be a great combination. Nahlem should be quadcore and a real beast. If SL can take advantage of that, then we are laughing.

Are you serious, Apple hasn't even taken advantage of Penryn and SSE4.1. Neither have the software companies. 10.7 or later before Nehalem is used to it's full potential. With the rate of progress shown by Intel, the software is always going to be 1 or 2 generations behind the hardware.

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
Exchange support for web services is interesting.

Wonder if I could convince work to enable this .... Web services is not the same as ActiveSync correct?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.