OS X 10.6.x - Firefox doesn't open as the front window

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dcains, Sep 12, 2009.

1. dcains macrumors regular

For example, if I have mail running (or iPhoto, Quicken, etc.) and I click on the Firefox dock icon to open Firefox, Firefox always opens as the rear-most window, even though the task bar at the top of the screen shows Firefox menus. Further, I can select a bookmark from that menu, and even after the site loads, Firefox still remains the rear-most window. I have to manually click somewhere on a Firefox open site page, or the Firefox dock icon, to bring Firefox to the front. Just a minor inconvenience, but it's annoying nonetheless. This started with the OS X 10.6 upgrade, and continues with 10.6.1. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

3. askme macrumors newbie

4. allan.nyholm macrumors 6502a

allan.nyholm

I had the same issue with Firefox 3.5.3(I also have Growl installed) Then I downloaded the 3.6a2 nightly and now Firefox opens in the front like it should.

I tried using Firefox with clean profiles and the official release would just open in the back on each launch. The 3.6a2 nightly does not do this on a clean profile.

5. dcains thread starter macrumors regular

Yup, Growl seems to be the issue . . .

. . . as soon as I disable Growl, Firefox opens in front. Turn Growl back on, and Firefox opens behind the main window again. Hopefully, the next Firefox uodate will fix this issue. Thanks for all the replies.