OS X 10.7.2 Possible security error

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kaweky, Oct 13, 2011.

1. kaweky macrumors newbie

Hey guys, well last night I just updated my mid 2011 Macbook Air to the latest version of OS X and I noticed something new and strange today when I turned on my computer. When I turn it on the login window there appears to be a new user profile (Guest). What i mean when I say "new" is that I had it disabled and all of a sudden it appears in the login window. Well I logged on to my user account and went to system preferences and there I disabled everything and pressed the lock (now in the login window the guest account shouldn't appear) but when I went to the login window to see if it was gone, it was still there, so I clicked it and it automatically gave me the option to restart my computer so that I could use only safari as a guest... I mean, what's the point of having a password on your computer if you can shut it down from the login window with absolutely no problem. A message came up and it said if you restart, logged on users might loses unsaved data.
    I don't know if I explained myself well enough, but any ideas what I can do to get rid of that???

2. kapa1686 macrumors member

I may be wrong, so someone can clarify, i believe this is a feature set for "find my mac". If someone steals your machine, they will have access to WI-FI and Safari so can start surfing the net. That way you can locate the machine and WIPE/LOCK it from a remote location.

3. AFPoster macrumors 65816

I believe you're right!

4. kaweky thread starter macrumors newbie

oooh!! Duh! hahaha

Well that makes sense! Alright thanks very much guys for your help, I appreciate it :D