Resolved OS X 10.7 Lion - Free upgrade - I'm confused

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by DewGuy1999, Jul 14, 2011.

1. DewGuy1999, Jul 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2011

DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

This Apple page states:

The OS X Lion Up-to-Date upgrade will be available at no additional charge via the Mac App Store to all customers who purchased a qualifying new Mac system from Apple or an Apple Authorized Reseller on or after June 6, 2011. Users must request their Up-to-Date upgrade within 30 days of purchase of their Mac computer. Customers who purchase a qualifying Mac between June 6, 2011 and the date when Lion is available in the Mac App Store will have 30 days from Lion’s official release date to make a request.

When Lion becomes available in July, come back to this page for details on how to request your copy of Lion.

On one hand they say:

Users must request their Up-to-Date upgrade within 30 days of purchase of their Mac computer.

while on the other hand they say:

Customers who purchase a qualifying Mac between June 6, 2011 and the date when Lion is available in the Mac App Store will have 30 days from Lion’s official release date to make a request.

So is it 30 days from the date the Mac was purchased or 30 days from when Lion is released?:confused:

Resolution: See this post of mine below for clarification from AppleCare as to how this will work.

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

If you bought a Mac after June 6th, you are eligible for free upgrade to Lion. You must make the claim though within 30 days of Lion's release.

3. DreamscapeRuins macrumors member

DreamscapeRuins

I'm going to assume its 30 days from the release date. Lion could release any time between now and July 31st. If it releases on the 31st, and you bought your computer on June 6th, you're already way past the 30 day purchase window. Even if it releases today, were still 30 days past if you purchased your computer on the 6th.

4. DewGuy1999 thread starter macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

See that's where my confusion comes into it, I purchased my MacBook Pro on June 17th, so I'm running out of time IF it's 30 days from the date of purchase. :confused:

5. Cougarcat macrumors 604

It's 30 days from the release date. Otherwise people who bought Macs on June 6 when the program started would be out of luck, which would make no sense.

6. DewGuy1999 thread starter macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

I'm not trying to be contrary but that's not what the web page says. But then again I really don't know what the h*ll the web page is saying. :confused:

7. Cougarcat macrumors 604

It was worded in a similar fashion for the SL up-to-date program. As long as you bought a Mac that summer, you were eligible for the upgrade at the end of August.

8. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

I bought a MacBook Pro a week ago today, I was wondering how the processes will even work. Is there something attached to our account that let's apple know we just bought a Mac, will we gave to call in to get a code or something? There hasn't really been much information on how to do it once lion is released.

9. DewGuy1999 thread starter macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

I don't know why they just don't say that if you buy a Mac between June 6th and the time Lion is released you have 30 days from the Lion release date to request a free upgrade. Simple, no ambiguity.

10. Mikey86uk macrumors 6502

dam that sucks

i rekon it should be a free upgrade for all 2011 iMacs atleast :D

But £20 aint going to break the bank!

11. DreamscapeRuins macrumors member

DreamscapeRuins

A week before Snow Leopard released, I bought a MacBook. In this case, they mailed me a disc. I didn't have to call or request it, they already knew and had it sitting at my door the day of the release at no cost.

In the case of Lion, I'm assuming you'll have to fill out a form with your order number, model number, or some sort of proof of purchase. They'll then verify it and allow you to download Lion through your iTunes account associated with your Mac.

12. basher macrumors 6502

basher

My guess is you would be emailed a redeem code for Lion. That's the way I got mt back to school promo code.

13. DewGuy1999 thread starter macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Okay, since it's almost 30 days since I purchased my MacBook Pro on June 17th, I decided to contact AppleCare to make sure I didn't miss out on the free Lion upgrade.

According to Chris, if you buy a Mac between June 6th and the date Lion is released you have 30 days from the Lion release date to request a free upgrade.

He said this is all new territory for Apple with it being a digital download and they didn't know exactly how it was going to work for the free upgrade. He said you'll have to contact them either through the web page OS X Lion Up-to-Date Program or maybe by phone, they just didn't have the details yet since Lion hasn't been released.