OS X 10.7 - touchscreen??

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Mad Mac Maniac, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    With snow leopard coming up soon as a 'minor' upgrade focusing on 'performance and stability' I can't help but expect that the following OS X upgrade will be significant. My gut tells me that it will be fully touchscreen supported and will be released in January of 2012. All iMacs and macbooks besides entry level will come equipped with a fully touchscreen screen. Obviously a keyboard will be needed for typing still, but the mouse will be all but gone.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you think it might come even sooner? Apple leaped ahead of Microsoft in the touchscreen world with the iphone, but they can't sit on their haunches and allow Microsoft time to creep back up. I was just sitting here imagining how cool it would be if My entire monitor were touchscreen...

2. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

I hope you meant 2012 and not 1012 ;)

If they use the same technology as the iPhone, then I would be totally for it. There's a bunch of phones and other touch screen devices (GPS, Laptops etc.) that are a crap, and have a delay after you have selected what you want to do.

3. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Or do you think a touchscreen OS would need to start a new line of OS XI?

4. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

It would probably be called OS X Touch.

5. Old Muley macrumors 6502a

Old Muley

I can barely tolerate the fingerprints on my iPod Touch! The smudges on a monitor would be too much to bare. Besides, I sit back far enough from my monitor that having to reach out and touch it would be quite a stretch.

6. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

The Mac already has a touch screen. They go by two names - the Touch or the iPhone. Air Mouse, remote control, remote VNC...

Stick your arm out. Keep it then, jabbing your screen for 3 minutes. That arm ache, is only part of the problem. You don't have to look at the mouse to use it. Same goes with the trackpad, multitouch pad. You don't need a screen down there. You can see what's happening on the screen.

7. TSE macrumors 68030

Touch screens are pointless on a full fledged computer whether it be a laptop or desktop for any real work... the only use I would ever see with a touchscreen is maybe on an iMac if you want to use it JUST for watching videos and music and don't want a keyboard or mouse taking up space, but that would cater to a very very small market.

8. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

There's already an "OSX Touch" O/S. It's the iPhone O/S and it would be great using an 8-10" diagonal multi-touch device..

I'd list the practical uses but I'm lazy.