OS X 10.8.1 May Address Mountain Lion Battery Life Issues

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier this month, we pointed to testing by Ars Technica showing that upgrading to OS X Mountain Lion on a test Retina MacBook Pro substantially degraded its battery life. The testing showed a 38% decrease in battery life, moving from eight hours of battery life on a single charge under OS X Lion to just five hours under OS X Mountain Lion.

Softpedia now reports that it has heard from one developer claiming that OS X 10.8.1, which entered developer testing just days after Ars Technica's report, does indeed address this battery life issue.
"Until I installed 10.8.1, my MacBook was showing 4h:05m after a full charge," he said, referring to the amount of time before the battery would deplete completely.

"After installing 10.8.1 it's showing over 8h," he said. "I'm now able to use my Mac throughout the day again without having to carry my charger," said the happy developer.
Another report from Apple's discussion forums describes a similar major boost to battery life under OS X 10.8.1, but results from our own forums are less clear. Several users have reported no changes to their battery life while others suggest that there has been some improvement, but it appears that specific testing by those who were affected by the Mountain Lion battery life drop has not been well-documented.

OS X 10.8.1 will be the first maintenance release for OS X Mountain Lion, and such updates are generally pushed quickly through the development and testing processes in order to address the most severe bugs cropping up with the initial public releases of new operating systems. Significant battery life issues would seem to qualify as something Apple would want to address in this update, but the company has not specifically addressed the topic in release notes or other documentation associated with the test builds being distributed.

Article Link: OS X 10.8.1 May Address Mountain Lion Battery Life Issues

Vctr

macrumors regular
May 24, 2012
I wonder if the reported battery life increase is measured from real word use or if these developers are just going off the estimated battery life.

From the Ars Technica quote, it looks like they are going off of the estimate, which we all know is wildly inaccurate half of the time.

Dreamer2go

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
I'm glad I am still waiting a bit to buy the Retina Macbook Pro.... I knew there would be bugs like these...

But I'm happy Apple is addressing it!!!
I think I'm ready to buy my new Mac!!!

ghostface147

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2008
No battery issues here, but it did fix a keyboard hesitation when waking from deep sleep and introduced an issue where the wireless shows as not configured but works fine when waking up from sleep.

fins831

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2011
My battery life issues have been atrocious on Mtn Lion, have even swapped Hard drives for my old SL partition and the battery life instantly improved. I would have guessed they would fix the battery drain culprit, and I can't wait til friday when this is pushed to us.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I still find this story odd. I've always gotten about 60% of Apple's estimates for battery life. Going all the way back to Panther.

I assumed they did their tests by just reading an e-book with the screen on the lowest setting and since that's not what I do, I shouldn't expect anything better.

I didn't realize anyone expected to get times like that, but apparently people do?

currentinterest

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2007
I have other issues as well I'm hoping the next update will fix such as running much hotter, and a mail rendering bug.

tlevier

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2010
Littleton, CO
I hope it addresses the Dock issue where it doesn't go away when you take an app full screen.

Or do makers like Hulu need to use the new Apple full screen standard?

Samuriajackon

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2009
My battery life issues have been atrocious on Mtn Lion, have even swapped Hard drives for my old SL partition and the battery life instantly improved. I would have guessed they would fix the battery drain culprit, and I can't wait til friday when this is pushed to us.
I have a SSD from Crucial. No problems yet.

paradox00

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2009
Anyone else having issues with flash video freezing a lot? My Magic Trackpad and wireless keyboard routinely disconnect now as well. Hopefully this patch addresses those as well, although maybe flash needs to be fixed on adobes end.

monkor

macrumors regular
May 25, 2012
Thank goodness, my MBP was getting some nubs battery life with Mountain Lion doing a little streaming, word processing, and surfing the web. Which is a shame, because the update (while somewhat marginal) actually made my machine seem a tad bit quicker.

Want300

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I am constantly streaming videos for my online graduate courses. So I usually have my charger plugged in. but I am glad they jumped on it right away.

MichaelT

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2011
Macbook Pro Retina + OSX 10.8 freezing

Looking forward to it. Having major issues with MBP Retina + OSX 10.8 freezing completely when doing cpu intensive stuff.. Seems to have something to do with the dynamic switching of the video chips. Continues working when I fix the OS to use the nvidia chip with gfxCardStatus.

fins831

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2011
I have a SSD from Crucial. No problems yet.
I had SL on my 64 gig partition, and ML on my 128 gig partition. Both intel SSD, no trim activated through trim enabler yet, been going without until first patch.

Both drives running perfectly no issues, and the battery life on my spinning hard drive with ML partition is also terrible. I am seeing an issue, have been, where my battery just drains from surfing the internet, 5 percent from reading twitter, nothing in background.

I hope this fixes the drain.

simon the diver

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2010
short battery, runs hotter and BT keyboard issue

early 2008 macbook pro

New battery a month before Mountain Lion, so drop in battery life was noticeable.

As was a corresponding increase in heat generated - always ran fairly warm - definitely running hotter now and I am hearing the fans regularly now whereas before they were silent in all but the most extreme heat - i used to work in Egypt

Also glad to see from this thread thats its not just my bluetooth apple keyboard thats having problems disconnecting - does it several times a day with a good battery in it . Thought my keyboard was dying - hopefully its an ML issue that will get fixed

Roll on 10.8.1

If they nail these issues i'll be happy with the hill cat

ActionJax

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2008
Was the developer actually "happy" or was he/she simply no longer pissed-off? Big difference! :)

Peel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
Seattle
I wonder if those who did not see a return to better batteryt life under 10.8.1 would benefit from reseting the SMC. I know that I've had to do this when I replaced my battery and the indicator was still reading like it had the old battery in it. Worth a try anyway.

Angus9541

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2012
My rMPB's battery sucked before ML and sucks now, fingers crossed, Michael Jackass would never have approved! :rolleyes:

eternalife

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2011
In the name of all things Apple I hope this is true. I got 2:20 minutes on a full batter last night.