Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Late last month, some Adobe Photoshop users reported that the new 2013-edition MacBook Air was exhibiting severe flickering when using some brush tools in Photoshop.

It didn't happen with all units, but an Adobe representative said he believed it was a driver or GPU issue, and said Apple would need to fix the issue.

Today, a MacRumors tipster tells us the flickering issue has been fixed in the OS X 10.8.5 beta released to developers today. The bug made Photoshop nearly unusable for a number of MacBook Air users.

Some users have previously suggested that upgrading to the developer release of OS X Mavericks solved the problem, so the fix may be a matter of Apple pushing upgraded code sooner than it planned.

(Thanks, Todd!)

Article Link: OS X 10.8.5 Developer Seed May Fix MacBook Air Photoshop Flickering

ikexit

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2013
guess that is an a PR move, just update to Maverics says Apple to you

Dudical

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2012
It's an ADOBE bug, not an Apple bug. Makes me sick that Apple would have to stoop to Adobe's level and fix THEIR bug.

:apple::apple::apple:

RayK

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
Made something weird happen for me. Although it could be something else.... Filevault related...

ridwan47

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2013
It's an ADOBE bug, not an Apple bug. Makes me sick that Apple would have to stoop to Adobe's level and fix THEIR bug.

Can you please explain why this is Adobe's Bug ? Seems to me it's an Apple Problem..

Last edited:

elitecol

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012

Lol here go the fanboys haha, makes him sick? how would he even know who's bug it is, he must be working in the Adobe coding team and already figured it out :rolleyes:

accidental

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2011
When the 2011 Macbook Air released there were similar problems with Photoshop to do with the Intel GPU. Specifically, redrawing problems when zooming and brush outlines disappearing when at large sizes. It didn't get any attention like this bug is getting, which is practically identical.

FWIW it was Apple's problem to fix, so this one will be too.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
I've had flickering on my MBA without Photoshop use at all, so I think it goes a bit deeper than just with Photoshop.

roosta

macrumors regular
May 1, 2005
las vegas
well at least their addressing the flickering. i had a 2006 macbook that flickered like crazy, took it to the apple store for repair or replacement and the 'genius' took at look at the machine and denied there was anything wrong. still have that macbook - use it for a windows machine on those dark days when something has to be done and can't be done with the mac os - and it still flickers.

elitecol

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
Explain yourself. Help me understand... How do you know that this is Adobe's bug?

I'll explain, a true fan must NEVER see wrong in their 'team' or favourite company, therefore its always everyone else's fault, hence the ':apple::apple::apple:' ...

rudyrudell

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2011
It's not just photoshop, mine does the exact same thing from time to time when I am using iPhoto and then iPhoto crashes and is fine for awhile again until it happens for no reason again

----------

false. the same issue occurs with similar image editing programs. even apple's own products. it didn't always do this, just after recent updates I believe.

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013
Which versions of Photoshop, all of them? I have CS6 and am not satisfied with it because it's bloated. I want to go back to CS3 or at least CS5.

Look at the specs for Photoshop CS6!

Multicore Intel processor with 64-bit support
Mac OS X v10.6.8 or v10.7. Adobe Creative Suite 3, 4, 5, CS5.5, and CS6 applications support Mac OS X Mountain Lion (v10.8) when installed on Intel-based systems.**
1 GB of RAM
2 GB of available hard-disk space for installation; additional free space required during installation (cannot install on a volume that uses a case-sensitive file system or on removable flash storage devices)
1024 x 768 display (1280 x 800 recommended) with 16-bit color and 512 MB (1 GB recommended) of VRAM

What did they do, hire some sloppy hackers to code it? This is disgusting. CS3 ran on freaking iMac G4s.

PowerPC G4 or G5 or multicore Intel processor
Mac OS X v10.4.8-10.5 (Leopard)
512 MB of RAM
64 MB of video RAM
2 GB of available hard-disk space (additional free space required during installation)

CS3 would see my machine and feel humble to operate on such a beast.

Last edited:

Ursadorable

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2013
The Frozen North
I can't say for Adobe, but I know once Macromedia started outsourcing their coding to India, the software started getting bloated, buggy and generally turned to crap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.