OS X 10.9.2 - Cannot run Ethernet and WIFI at the same time

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Macnicolas, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Macnicolas macrumors newbie

Since I installed 10.9.2, I cannot have my usual ethernet connection and the WIFI on (connected to Time Machine for back ups).
    When both are ON, only the WiFi works. When I turn WiFi OFF, the ethernet connection works...
    Any ideas how to solve the problem?

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

3. Macnicolas thread starter macrumors newbie

4. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Using the built in GigE port it should work fine. Try resetting PRAM & SMC. If that fails a fresh Mavericks install is what I'd do next. If that too fails then it sounds like a hardware problem so a trip to an Apple store should be able to resolve it.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Go to System Preferences and in the Network panel click the little cog at the lower left then select Set Service Order. Make sure the ethernet connection is at the top of that list then apply the change.

This way when ethernet and wifi are connected the system will use ethernet. When ethernet is not connected it will connect by wifi. (It sounds like this is what you are after)

6. Macnicolas thread starter macrumors newbie

7. imacken macrumors 65816

Just as an aside, you don't need to have wi-fi on for your TM to work.
    My Time Capsule connects via wi-fi to my router, and my Mac is connected via ethernet with wi-fi off. No wi-fi required. Don't know your setup though.

8. jihr75 macrumors newbie

Can´t connect Ethernet with TC

Hi, I have a similar problem that i just can't resolve

I have a 3TB TC that is joining wirelessly to an existing wifi network (non-apple), and I plugged it in directly to my Macbook Pro Retina with an ethernet cable, so it can work faster when I copy files, use iTunes (all my songs are in there) and use time machine for backup.

My problem is that only the wifi network is working, the ethernet connection doesn't work at all, if I turn wifi off, I have no communicaction with the TC.

Can anyone help me resolving this?

thanks

Attached Files: