OS X 10.9.2 Clean Install with OS X Recovery

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by pbq, Feb 26, 2014.

1. pbq macrumors newbie

hey,

I wanted to do a clean install of 10.9.2 on my rmbp 15" late 2013 using OS X Recovery.

So I first did the app store update from 10.9.1 to 10.9.2 and afterwards started up OS X Recovery and did:
    1. Erase Macintosh HD
    2. Reinstall OS X

But this again installed 10.9.1 on my mac :confused:

I got this from apples support page (http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4718):

-> this should install 10.9.2 in my case

-> this should install 10.9.0 in my case

But I ended up with 10.9.1 :confused:
    Could it be that 10.9.2 just isn't uploaded to apples "recovery servers" yet?

2. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

Did you let the software update run completely through? It will install the software update, then restart and finish the update.

3. pbq thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I did this. I checked on "About this Mac" and I was on 10.9.2 before starting the OS Recovery Reinstall

4. ssls6 macrumors 6502a

ssls6

Your recovery partition is still at 10.9.1. I've seen this on one of my mac which was on 10.9.1 (I installed 10.9.2 but it didn't update the recovery). My other macs were using 10.9.2 developer version and their recoveries were updated.

So....You need to get your hands on a full installer. Put it on USB. Boot from it and install 10.9.2 over the top of your 10.9.1 or 10.9.2. A full installer always updates the recovery partition.

Of course you can do a clean install with the full installer so doing the intermediate step becomes redundant.

Finally, clean installs are not clean if you then use setup assistant or migration assistant. With Mavericks, you can get some very strange permission issues doing migrations (ACL errors, _spotlight owning files, ...)

If really want a clean install, then install without migration, put in your cloud ID, drag your apps back one by one or install them again if required. Copy your Documents stuff, music stuff, ...... That's the only way to be clean.

5. pbq thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the tip!

I already downloaded the 10.9.2 image from the app store and created a bootable USB as instructed in this thread [GUIDE] USB recovery disk for MacBook Pro Retina, Late 2013 (or any special build).

I ended up with 10.9.2 freshly installed, but no recovery partition was created. Just like this user :

So I did the OS X Internet Recovery to get back the Recovery Partition. This worked and installed 10.9.1 + Recovery Partition on my macbook (although I tought this was supposed to install 10.9.0 + Recovery Partition).

What's the best way got get: 10.9.2 + Recovery Partition?

6. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

You followed outdated instructions.
    You want to use the method in this thread:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=18081307#post18081307
    And don't be surprised if the process looks stalled or failed.
    It takes around 30-minutes while giving no feedback at all.

7. ssls6 macrumors 6502a

ssls6

Gjwilly is right. Using that old method will not get you a recovery.

8. tywebb13 macrumors 68000

The guide you linked to was for special builds.

10.9.2 is not a special build.

For this, use this method instead:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=18081307&postcount=3

9. Macalbi, Mar 5, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2014

Macalbi macrumors newbie

Hi,

I followed the new instructions but apparently I am not getting a full clean install as X11 icon app is still there on my mac launchpad (other folder) even if I understood this should not come together with the base system. Therefore I have the impression that the installation process is getting something from previous installations/settings.

On top of the preparation tasks described in OSXdaily this is what I did:
    - I restarted with option key
    - I selected the USB drive and then it opened similar screen of HD recovery
    - I selected disk utility to format the Mac HD and then selected Reinstall OSX

This last selection gave me a screen equal to the one you get when you download OSX form App store for installation. I pressed continue and this installed 10.9.2.

Is it correct to expect that X11 icon is not installed ? How can I make sure that I performed a true clean install ?

Thanks in advance for your help

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It sounds like you missed a step with Disk Utility. Once you get to that recovery screen click Disk Utility to launch it. Click Macintosh HD on the left then go to the erase tab and select Mac OS Extended (Journaled) in the drop down. Now click the erase button to the right. That will take a minute or so to erase the disk.

Then quit Disk Util and click reinstall OS X.

Correct... if you did nothing but a clean install that would not be there. I am assuming here you did not import anything afterwards?

At the end of a clean install the setup wizard will start and you will asked to create a new account. Once that is done you will have nothing but OS X with your new account and that account will have nothing in it. No Documents, no Music... nothing.