OS X 10.9.5

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AppleFan22, Nov 16, 2015.

1. AppleFan22 macrumors regular

I'm running OS X El Cap (latest PB), and it works pretty well, but it's also pretty slow. I'm trying to get myself a new rMBP, but it's gonna cost a load of money for the exact one I want (any donations fee free to PM me XD).

I was thinking maybe I ought to go back to Mavericks, just until I can pull up the funds for the new machine. Would you recommend this? Bear in mind that this machine I have now is the 2012 nr MBP 2.9 GHz dual core and 8 GB of RAM, so I can get Mavericks back through internet recovery.

However, because I have the latest iLife and iWork software, I'm worried that going back is likely to cause compatibility problems. Can anyone say if this is true?

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

iLife should work fine on 10.9. Have you considered upgrading to a SSD? That would fix most performance issues.

3. AppleFan22 thread starter macrumors regular

I would, but it's a lot of money, and whilst yes, it is only a fraction of what will be payed for the new device, I'm not willing to spend it on what I have now. I am getting an external SSD soon, and may try and have a Mac partition on that, for when I need speed, but I don't know how well that's work.

4. Mike in Kansas macrumors 6502a

Mike in Kansas

5. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Yep an SSD will make that macbook run like an rMBP.

6. AppleFan22 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, it is a 5,400 rpm drive, the original that came with the device. However, I'm running out of storage, and the drive I have now is 500 GB, so halving the drive size wouldn't be fun, until I get another external drive.

I'm not sure I even want to bother sticking an SSD into my current MBP, it just seems like a waste, when I can just save and get EVERYTHING upgraded, rather than just the drive...

7. Toutou macrumors 6502a

Toutou

Of course you can save and get everything upgraded, but a $100 SSD will get you a nice and speedy machine until you have enough saved. You can even install the new SSD and use your old HDD for storage.

8. AppleFan22 thread starter macrumors regular

To be quite honest, I don't even know if I'll be able to afford that at the moment. It'd be a quite literal miracle if I can get the "dream MBP" as Mike in Kansas called it. Here's to hoping! Hahaha :)