OS X 10.9 Safari Errors then Hang

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Tucom, Dec 23, 2014.

1. Tucom macrumors 65816

Tucom

So I was attempting to go to Macrumors.com with the latest version of Safari on 10.9.5 Mavericks, and I think the URL was that of which couldn't really be loaded (was using the pre-loaded history from the URL bar, just a random Macrumors URL so it would get me to Macrumors instead of typing it all out) and Safari gave the errors of something along the lines of "Something went wrong/there was an error loading this page" - Safari attempted to load the page three times consecutively, one of the other, then gave the errors.

I quit Safari, then when I attempted to start Safari again it just kept bouncing in the dock, then beach balling happened, and the whole machine more or less locked up. Had to be cold rebooted.

This all happened on a 2009 27 iMac BTW. If specs would helpful I'll list them.

Any ideas as to why this may have happened? Has anyone experienced anything like this before?

Thanks in advance!

2. sharon22 macrumors regular

Did this ONLY happen on this one occasion? With just the Mac Rumors website? Or is this happening a lot, and this occasion you described is just one of many?

If it only happened once, don't worry about it at all. These things happen all the time, especially with forums that have dynamically loaded pages -- e.g. on Monday, a post might be on page One of a forum thread, and then by Friday, that same post may be on page Ten of a forum.... so when you bookmark someone's post, you may be trying to access a nonexistant page.

If this is happening ALL the time (e.g. "Oh man this Safari thing is driving me nuts it's been giving me error messages ALL WEEK and I want to put my iMac on my driveway and drive over it...., etc.), then do the following:

1.) Go up to the word "Safari," in the upper left hand corner, and down to "Reset Safari." Make sure ALL them boxes are checked and do a BIG OL RESET!

2.) Quit Safari.

3.) While Safari is quit, open up Hard Disk --> YourUserName --> Library --> Safari and take a look at that window. There will be about 10 things listed in there. DELETE ALL OF THEM, excep "Bookmarks.plist." (Don't worry, I do this all the time on my mac, just did it myself about 20 minutes ago).

This will TREMENDOUSLY speed up Safari.

(But DON'T start up Safari just yet.... be patient... just one more step)

4.) Launch "Terminal." (Terminal is located in Applications --> Utilities).

5.) Type this EXACTLY (best to copy-and-paste this line):

dscacheutil -flushcache

6.) Click Enter (hit the "Return" key on your keyboard)

7.) Type this EXACTLY (best to copy-and-paste this line):

sudo killall -HUP mDNSResponder

8.) Click Enter (hit the "Return" key on your keyboard)

That's it!

Now, you should have a REALLY BLAZING FAST Safari experience, with no more errors!

If you do all of that, and think, "wow, this is really cool! I wonder if there is anything else I can do...." Well, there is. Go into System Preferences, click on the "Flash Player" icon, and then click on "Storage," and then click the "Delete All" button.

That will delete all your old Flash storage preferences, too, and now it will feel like you have a brand-new computer.

Post back, let me know what you think.

3. ricede macrumors regular

ricede

If you have any Safari extensions installed - do NOT delete the Extensions folder from YourUserName --> Library --> Safari. If you do - you will have to re-download the relevant extensions & reinstall them.

4. sharon22 macrumors regular

Oops! That is a very good point! I never have any Safari Extensions running, I didn't know that is where they are stored.

Thank you again for pointing that out.

We make a good team. I'll bring beer, you bring popcorn.

5. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

6. Tucom thread starter macrumors 65816

Tucom

Thanks for the reply! Interesting info. However, NOTHING in a browser should cause the PC/Mac to hang like that - if all that was needed was to open Force Quit, then sure, that's alright. However, to have it to where it needed to be restarted, that's something that just should not happen - and is something that should be fixed.

----------

Thanks for the replies all! I'm now running Yosemite - and it's great. Did a clean install, and it's awesome so far.

Now, what I read was that Safari could cause the the problem I described, which is why I'm now using Chrome, instead. I read of others having the EXACT same issue, and with Chrome, issue's gone. It makes sense, all of this happened (twice) when using Safari.

If this happens again, I'll update this thread.