OS X 10 point... 10?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by haaz, Jun 6, 2013.

1. haaz macrumors newbie

I have been curious, what will happen after OS X 10.9 is out, in terms of the version numbers? That is, will there be a 10.10? Or then, does it go to 11? OS X 11.0 doesn't quite have the same ring to it somehow...

Thanks.

2. simsaladimbamba

If the OS X brand will be continued, it is very likely, that it will be 10.10 or they might even lose their official version numbering (Apple not using in marketing and such).

3. chown33 macrumors 604

Probably the same thing that happened for the final update of Tiger. That was 10.4.11, and its predecessor was 10.4.10.

The world didn't end then, and it won't this time.

4. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Moving all to Roman numerals for X.X would be pretty cool, but I'd be betting that they stick with 10.10.

5. nickharris1992 macrumors member

nickharris1992

i have been wondering this same thing for quite some time. my thoughts on it are if they do a complete overhaul of the OS right now maybe there will be some name changing. It seems to me that Apple is doing some minor rebranding. We will all find out Monday. Can't wait.:D

6. xaqt93 macrumors 6502

xaqt93

It will be called OS 11 or something like that. The X is a Roman numeral for 10. So OS X 10.9 and then 10.10 and then maybe 10.11 and then maybe we will see a OS 11. Steve Jobs said at the Orgianl release of OS X 10.0 That this was the platform they would be using for the next 15 years...well, time is almost up. I'm sure Steve Jobs already had a vision for OS 11 in mind when he released OS X.

7. HarryT macrumors 6502

HarryT

But realise that what it currently stands for (10) is then said twice.

OS X 10.9

Oh Es Ex Ten Point Nine.

This means you are basically saying OS 10 10.9

So by that logic they could just drop the 10 (before the point 9).

OS X 9.

Thats my view anyway.

8. tdbmoss macrumors regular

tdbmoss

The prominence of the 10.x numbering has already been reduced to a great extent, for instance on http://www.apple.com/support/mac/ note how they list the OS names up to Snow Leopard as "Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard" and then after that it is just "OS X Lion". The version number "10.9" also is not used in the promotional pages for OS X anywhere - so I suspect they will just go to 10.10, but the only place you will see it is in the detailed version information on the system.

9. meme1255 macrumors 6502

The 'X' letter in OS X doesn't mean only "ten" , but it is also reference to UNIX :) (And I'm really glad that OS X is UNIX ;))