Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GregUofMN

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 15, 2003
Hey everybody--

When I got my Comcast Cable high speed internet installed at my house (Minneapolis suburbs) recently, the rep said that OS X.4 Tiger would not work. Luckily, I hadn't bought the upgrade yet. However, I'm itching to get my hands on it. Has anybody in the area tried it out yet???

Thanks,
Greg

GregUofMN

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 15, 2003
yg17 said:
The guy's an idiot. As long as you're not using a USB modem, you're fine.

I'm using the USB one that they brought. Which one should I "invest" in? (I need to say things like "invest" when I want to tell my wife I wanna buy a new toy.)

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
GregUofMN said:
I'm using the USB one that they brought. Which one should I "invest" in? (I need to say things like "invest" when I want to tell my wife I wanna buy a new toy.)

Don't invest. Demand an ethernet one. Or does your modem support USB and ethernet. If so, get rid of the USB cord and get an ethernet cord on that baby.

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
GregUofMN said:
Hey everybody--

When I got my Comcast Cable high speed internet installed at my house (Minneapolis suburbs) recently, the rep said that OS X.4 Tiger would not work. Luckily, I hadn't bought the upgrade yet. However, I'm itching to get my hands on it. Has anybody in the area tried it out yet???

Thanks,
Greg

What is it with these idiots? It's always an Apple problem.

My mom has comcast, and their service went down. They claimed it was an Apple problem, even though the whole neighborhood was out. I had her tell them that was bogus, and to explain why their service worked with her mac for the previous two years but only now was not working (without any system changes, etc.)

Ethernet (and get that, not USB) is designed to be system indifferent. Macs are fully equipped to handle any standard ethernet.

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL
I would just like to add that i have Insight cable broadband and they have excellent mac support. The one time I called the fixed the issue within minutes.

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
It works for me?

I am in the Detroit area and I know of many people using Tiger with Comcast, including myself and I have 3 Macs all running Tiger and using Comcast internet service. The only thing that doesnt work is the little exe program that they want you to run when you have new service. But you can call and Customer Service can do the registration process for you over the phone. Took 2 0r 3 minutes tops. Bottom line who ever told you it doesnt work with Comcast doesn't have a clue.

JDOG_

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
Oakland
I also have Comcast in NorCal and it works fine.

A few hiccups with only getting one ip address, but other than that it's alright. The cable modem you get does kind of teh suck though.

What also sucks is having to pay $50/month when the $19.95 deal ends for me in 5 months...no wonder there isn't better broadband penetration in the U.S., it costs more than a drug habit! :confused:

iPhil

macrumors 68040
GregUofMN said:
Hey everybody--

Thanks,
Greg

Greg,

If Comcast gave you an 'USB' cable modem i would take that modem back to the local payment center and ask for ethernet modem ..

As for Macs on Cable Modem service.. I'm on cable 'net now with Adelphia cable and once i connected the cable to the iMac, then i checked safari and i connected to the 'net .. no Cable Modem software needed on the Mac..

Like Apple says "Just Works"

iphil

drater

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
The bowels of CT
Greg, as evil as comcast is, make sure you get what you want out of them. I (unfortunately) have comcast and it works fine with tiger. The guy probably took this job so his paroll officer wouldn't give him **** (at least that is what my guy did) You'll be fine.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Sorry, your Mac won't work with the Internet. :rolleyes:

Everytime I hear (a variation on) that from a tech support person it makes me want break fingers.

iPhil

macrumors 68040
yellow said:
Sorry, your Mac won't work with the Internet. :rolleyes:

Everytime I hear (a variation on) that from a tech support person it makes me want break fingers.

Thanks yellow,

For the laughing session :D :D

Some Cable Company customer service reps. still think that 'Only' windows can "use" the 'net.. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The Customer service support make me giggle @ times.. ;)

iphil

treblah

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2003
I love the Comcast. Especially when the installer came out and tried to install the Comcast software. He told me that it wouldn't work because I didn't have IE5 installed. :rolleyes:

I told him I would call Tech Support and that he could head out. Five second visit to System Preferences and I was good to go.

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2003
It really is ridiculous how poor the training at Comcast actually is. I didn't even have the rep come out to my place. I went and picked up the modem and told them to turn it on. I hooked it up and it worked like a charm.

By the way this is Comcast in South Jersey.

Hickman

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
Rocking the Comcast with Tiger installed here in Utah. I even upgraded to Tiger while subscribed :eek: . There techs are really not trained on how to work with Macs at all. But do get the Ethernet modem...much nicer.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
I know someone else who had a perfectly ethernet-capable laptop (Windoze), yet Comcast gave her a USB modem. What's up with these guys? Ethernet should always be the preference if it's available. She had major problems with the USB, we finally had her demand an ethernet modem and it worked great as soon as that was installed. I may have to switch to Comcast soon, since my DSL sucks huge ass, but I'm not looking forward to it.

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
iphil said:
Greg,

If Comcast gave you an 'USB' cable modemi would take that modem back to the local payment center and ask for ethernet modem ..

As for Macs on Cable Modem service.. I'm on cable 'net now with Adelphia cable and once i connected the cable to the iMac, then i checked safari and i connected to the 'net .. no Cable Modem software needed on the Mac..

Like Apple says "Just Works"

iphil

Every comcast modem I have seen has both USB and Ethernet connections. Check the back of the modem you may not need a new one. When comcast hooked up my moms medem they used usb because the installer was out of ethernet cables and was too lazy to go get one.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I agree with everyone else on broadband companies not supporting Macs.

Whenever I have to call Charter's tech "support", I just pretend I use Windows and can translate their canned responses into instructions for OSX

PBGPowerbook

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
just to add to the confirmation...

I'm in Minneapolis...and THE INTERNET WORKS!!!11 hahaha Don't worry

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
Comcast in Fox Lake, IL...works fine on my mini - using ethernet based modem. However, I DON'T see anywhere close to the 6mbps they advertised...Still around 3, so I am yet to complain. Also worth noting that I did have to "activate" my account using a windows machine with some installer CD they gave me, but the install tech explained a quick call to customer service would have done the same thing.

OnceUGoMac

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
kingjr3 said:
Comcast in Fox Lake, IL...works fine on my mini - using ethernet based modem. However, I DON'T see anywhere close to the 6mbps they advertised...Still around 3, so I am yet to complain. Also worth noting that I did have to "activate" my account using a windows machine with some installer CD they gave me, but the install tech explained a quick call to customer service would have done the same thing.

Heh, that's funny. I'm using Comcast in Oak Park, IL and I pinged my download speed at 5 to 6 mbps. My upload speed was atrocious, but I never upload anything.

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
OnceUGoMac said:
Heh, that's funny. I'm using Comcast in Oak Park, IL and I pinged my download speed at 5 to 6 mbps. My upload speed was atrocious, but I never upload anything.

I figured it had to do with the fact that I am in the sticks up here...Of course once I call to complain, they'll say its because my computer is a mac! :eek: :eek: :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.