OS X after sleep problems

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sventech, Jun 13, 2008.

1. sventech macrumors newbie

Last year when I was upgrading to OS X 10.4.6 I found I had a bad ram chip, which I replaced. I was then able to load 10.4.6. Since then I've had problems. Computer (G4 dual 864) runs fine until I leave it alone and it goes to sleep, or if I put it to sleep. It will either not wake up, or when woken will not act properly. ie sluggish functions in finder won't work or work properly etc... I've reloaded the software, repaired permissions, zapped pram. Any Ideas?

2. yadmonkey macrumors 65816

yadmonkey

Do you have a Quicksilver or MDD G4? Have you tested the RAM recently? I recommend you give it a test with Rember.

When you reloaded the software, did you erase the drive in the process?

Sometimes a problem like this can be caused by a weak PMU battery. If you think you have a hardware problem, that would be an inexpensive place to start.

3. sventech thread starter macrumors newbie

pmu battery

As a matter of fact I did have a problem with the PMU on both my PowermacG4 computers. If I had a power failure the date & time would reset to 1969. I checked the batteries and they tested at 3.6v. I spun them in their sockets tested them through the seat, everything still tested fine. Finally I replaced them with new ones @ $20 ea. Still the same result. I fixed the date & time problem by purchasing a backUPS. Now Power never leaves the computer. My other G4 which is the exact same model doesn't have any of the sleep to wake issues. I'll try the hardware test again and that rember thing when I get a chance. Thanks for your input, and for anyone else contributing their wisdom.

4. yadmonkey macrumors 65816

yadmonkey

It sounds like this computer has been through a lot and with the hard shutdowns, sleep issues, and past memory issues, it's likely that it's developed some directory errors. Do you have a copy of Disk Warrior which you could run on the hard drive to clean it up? Does the hard drive pass verification in Disk Utility?

Definitely give Rember a run. I've seen it catch memory issues which other programs missed.

5. sventech thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried that rember utility. It didn't seem to catch anything. I'm not that familiar w/ the tech lingo so I don't know what the implication of (all available memory) or the number of loops is. Another tidbit of info is that at one point in my troubleshooting I added another internal hard drive. My latest copy of the OSX is on the original hard drive which has been wiped. Could there still be a problem with either hard drive that disk warrior would catch? Another issue is that an old 15gb USB external hard drive that I have won't appear. It doesn't even show up on the Disk utility. It works fine on my computer at work which is the exact same machine. My little chip drive works fine though. Any Ideas? I'm thinking that it might be some kind of a software of firmware problem that surfaces only after sleep. If I put it to sleep for a minute or two to test it, there won't be a problem. Only if I leave it alone for a while, Then it definitely locks up. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!