OS X and 4G wifi don't mix?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Tygrz, Aug 13, 2016.

1. Tygrz macrumors member

I'm researching going wireless, and I just read someone's post in a forum for a device for that service that 4G doesn't work with OS X. True?

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

well the Mac hardware doesn't have a 4G chip, so how would you get a 4G to even connect?

3. Tygrz thread starter macrumors member

Okay, I gotcha.... newbie to this stuff!!
    So supposedly Microsoft's hardware DOES have '4G chips'?

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

I don't think there are any laptops that include a cellular modem (4G or elsewise).. You could have an external 4G modem which would work like any dial up.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 15, 2016 ---
    Wait a moment... Maybe I misunderstood.. is the connetion you are trying to do:

<cellular 4g Network> --> <cellular 4g Modem> --> wi-fi --> OSx?/
    --- Post Merged, Aug 15, 2016 ---
    There is another thread about this:

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/why-isnt-an-lte-radio-in-more-laptops.1987427/#post-23238383

5. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

I'll just say that my MacBook, wife's MacBook Pro, 3 of my older laptops, 2 iMacs have worked over my iPhone cellphone connection. Also on a Verizon MiFi. Also on ATT's MiFi type device.

Since connecting to my iPhone is so simple now I completely got rid of the other data plans and now when I am on the road and don't have WiFi I connect to my iPhone's hotspot and do what I need to then disconnect.
    I have to do this always at my parents home, they don't have any form of WiFi and barely any cell signal.