Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shneady

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2009
So, I got my TC set up, and that was fairly easy... The thing is, I'm still learning my way around OS X. How do I access my external hdd in the time capsule on my Mac? Also, I have connected my WD external hdd and my printer to the TC and I want to make sure I can access those peripherals through my network. I can't find my network on OS X. I go to my network through system preferences, but I don't think that's right? I was able to access my AEBS w/ ext hdd hooked up on my windows machine no prob through the start button and clicking on network, and it was all right there... Basically, how do I get to that same point on OS X? Thank you for your time and helping this OS X newb out...

-S

shneady

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2009
?

There is no 'shared' under finder?? At least I don't see it... Possibly be a little more specific... Thank you, and I really appreciate your help

-S

shneady

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2009
Printer ?? now

Now I can't get my printer to work through the time capsule... On the screen of my computer, it says that it's printing, but nothing is happening... Is there anything I need to do, or is it something in the settings? Thanks again, and sorry for being such a newb

-S

fscarpa

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2008
Are you connecting to your time capsule through airport or cable?
Is Internet working fine?

shneady

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2009
Yes, I'm connected to the internet. Everything is up and running, whatever is hard wired and wireless. I can access my external hdd that I have connected to my TC through the network from all computers in the house no problem... The only problem I'm having is printing through the network as I also have my printer hooked up to the TC using a hub for both my printer and ext hdd... So anyway, when I try to print, my mac sees the printer in the network it shows up and all that, it's just not printing... The printer utility says that it's printing but yet it's also waiting for a response from the printer??? Is it the printer? The setting of the TC? Maybe the settings of my mac? Could it be the USB hub, and do you think I need a USB switch instead?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I would love to just print to that one central printer from anywhere in the house. Accessing the ext hdd from anywhere in the house has been great so far. Now if I can just get the printer to print from the network, I'll be a happy camper... Keep in mind this is not a wifi printer, which is why I really need it hooked up to my time capsule so it essentially becomes my wireless printer now

Thanks again

-S

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.