Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

etienne1102

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2007
I am running OS X 10.4.11 (Macbook Pro)

I had an old Quickcam For Notebooks Deluxe (or was it the Quickcam Deluxe for Notebooks... yikes, these stupid inconsistent naming conventions...) which worked fine using MACAM and also a script which enabled and disabled my built in iSight. Once I got it set up- it worked flawlessly. Unfortunately - it gave up the ghost recently and I gave it a decent burial.

I researched the current state of things - OS X support for UVC compliant cameras - and read Logitech Troubleshooting Answer 6471 which lists UVC compliant cameras. I then carefully found and purchased a QuickCam Deluxe for Notebooks 860-000009 (yes - that was even the part number on the tag on the cable). I uninstalled MACAM. I restarted. Nada. The OS seems to see the camera in that when I go to system preferences, it recognizes that there is a Logitech camera attached. But it works in no application (MSN, Yahoo, AOL, iChat, Skype, Flashchat, Photobooth, etc.)

Any ideas?

Further, I read all over the web that the Logitech Pro 9000 works flawlessly with OS X - plug and play. Of course there is no way to know WHICH exact Logitech Pro 9000 and based on my experience above, the UVC compliant thing is not exactly reliable. Help?? And THANKS in advance

etienne1102

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2007
Thanks, but not so fast...

I've read the reviews and carefully picked a camera that should work. And it doesn't in spite of the fact that the model is listed on Logitech's site as UVC compliant.

Also, one of the challenges with the Amazon reviews is that Logitech does not make it easy for you to know whether the particular camera you are actually BUYING is one of the ones listed. There are, on most store shelves, various versions of (for instance) the Logitech Quickcam for Notebooks Pro - and you don't actually know which one you are getting. This may not matter for a PC user as the driver software install handles the problem. Not so for a Mac. MACAM site does a nice job describing this problem.

mikenike192

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2008
if you are looking for a webcam for your macbook check out the xbox live vision cam, i hear it works great with macs.

Blacksix

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2008
Orlando, FL
Quickcam Pro for Notebooks and Macbook Pro

Hi,

I just got a quickcam pro for notebooks on 5/18. It was listed on the MACAM site that it would most likely work. Latest version of MACAM did not recognize it.

I loaded an old Logitech driver QC801mac_enu. It did not recognize it either - I was grasping at straws.

With camera plugged in to the USB port, I launched Photobooth - nothing.

GET THIS: I unplugged the Quickcam Pro for NB with photobooth still active. I was contemplating returning it. I plugged it back in and the image through Isight froze for a few seconds...AND THEN THE QUICK CAM STARTED WORKING!!! I recorded three 20-30 second movies to make sure.

The issue is that the autofocus does not work and you cannot make any adjustments to the camera at all. The KEY is that PHOTOBOOTH MUST BE LAUNCHED FIRST AND THE QUICKCAM PRO FOR NB PLUGGED IN AFTERWARDS.

Hope this helps someone out there.

Blacksix

Vidstig

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2008
Hi guys and girls...

I just got a MacBook with a built in isigth camera.
Can i have it when i use it with MSN?
Like a cam chatt on msn.....

or must I use Ichat???

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.