OS X and Windows 8 share files on same drive?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Gascogne, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Gascogne macrumors member

Gascogne

What file system is needed in order for both os x and windows 8 can read/write the files on a seperate harddrive that they share files on?

Disk A - will contain both os x and windows 8 (boot camp)
    Disk B - contains music etc.

Or is it best to use a third party program for os x in order to read/write ntfs?

Newbie to mac. ;)

2. jer04 macrumors regular

jer04

I tried nearly all file systems available on windows, only fat / fat32 can be both read and written by osx without installing anything.

Since i dont want to use Fat because of its file size limit, I use paragon ntfs to enable Osx to write on ntfs. It has been working really well on my mac for over a year.

3. nfilg macrumors member

nfilg

You can use FAT32 or FAT but these are quite limited, large files are not allowed, like .mkv 7gb file. So you have extFAT works on windows and Mac

Other option is NTFS, for this to work you can install this app on OSx http://www.paragon-software.com/home/ntfs-mac/

4. j0ester macrumors member

5. ivnj macrumors 65816

I decided not to pay 20 dollars for paragon. So I formatted my new 3tb EXFAT. Works great. No drivers needed. At least on mac. I will check pc later and see. I also upgraded to windows 8 on pc laptop so I will check and write back.