OS X and XP computers sharing a NAS drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by = bluntman =, Sep 23, 2009.

1. = bluntman = macrumors regular

I have two XP computers and an OS X computer sharing a NAS drive on the same network. All computer see one another and all computers can access the NAS drive. However, the problem I am having is that when I use the OS X computer to transfer photos from a memory card to the a folder on the NAS drive, the XP computers cannot see the (photo) files. The XP computers can see that particular folder, however they cannot add a file inside that folder. It sounds like a permissions issue, but I don't know where to start to try to fix the problem.

Please help!

2. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I am having something very similar happening to me. Only the other way around. I can see the top level root folder via my Mac, but when I click on that folder I can't see anything under it. However, in this case my music folder. If I load the files up in iTunes, iTunes will see the root folder and everything underneath the folder. When I did a get info on all the files in the folder and looked under the sharing part, it shows "Mixed Permissions". So I am going through and trying to sort out the permissions problems on the xp box where the nas is connected to.

I do think it is a permissions problem. Go through your folders and or your root folder and see what the permissions are set to.

3. = bluntman = thread starter macrumors regular

One other thing I should add is that I created a Word document on one of the XP machines and saved it on the NAS drive. I was able to see and open the Word document on my OS X machine.

4. = bluntman = thread starter macrumors regular

I found the solution to my problem after browsing the QNAP (my NAS drive manufacturer) forums. I had to use Terminal for the first time, which was rather scary.

@rhett7660, hopefully you will find an answer to your problem soon.

5. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I went through and reset my permissions on the folders. Seems to be working. Have you been able to get yours figured out? If it is permissions check the drives that you are sharing, see what is says under the "get info". If it says mixed then it sounds like a permissions issue.