OS X Antivirus

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kelly™, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Kelly™ macrumors regular

Hello.
    What is the best and hopefully low cost or free antivirus program for OS X?

--Kelly

2. one1 macrumors 65816

Antivirus for OS X sounds like an april fools joke.

3. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

4. Kelly™ thread starter macrumors regular

Viruses are present for OS X.
    Smantec, Apple, MSNBC, all have articles and proof there are plenty out there and can be transmitted via your web browser or files.

Why wouldn't you have antivirus?

5. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

They are extremely rare.

6. mr.light macrumors 6502

I have never used one so I can't really help. Is it really needed? I know we have some sort of antivirus software on the macs in our school board, but I don't know what it is. I will try to find out tomorrow for you.

7. Kelly™ thread starter macrumors regular

Rare is not good enough.

Would you not lock your doors because it would be rare that anyone try to steal from your house?

8. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

I'm not that paranoid. Just like I don't worry that I'm going to get run over by a bus or struck by lightning every time I step outside my door.

There has never been a serious virus for OSX in its lifetime that has affected millions of Macs ( like you get on windows ).

Personally, I don't consider for one minute that the risk of viruses for OSX warrants getting a virus checker, at this moment in time: Or in otherwords, I consider virus checker on my Mac as overkill.

9. Kelly™ thread starter macrumors regular

10. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

I'm curious, how long have you been using a Mac for?

11. island macrumors 6502

island

If you use Norton on your Mac then you should not be allowed to use a Mac.

:)

12. Mernak macrumors 6502

13. one1 macrumors 65816

Perfect.

On a side note you have to be pretty much completely numb in the skull to get a virus on a mac because they must be downloaded by YOUR approval. The are not self executable back door viri like on windows that just come as they please.

The alarmists that have screamed "virus on mac" are the one's that don't bother to tell you that to get this virus you have to:

- go to where the file is to be downloaded
    - choose to download the file
    - give permission for the file to download
    - execute the file and install the virus

If you accomplish all of this, for the love of god sell your mac. It's not a virus it's a program.

14. xpovos macrumors 6502a

xpovos

Norton for Mac sucks hard. I like Intego VirusBarrier X4, but it doesn't fall into the free category.

Just because there has been no serious threat to Mac OS X so far doesn't mean there won't be one tomorrow---but even if there isn't, most Mac antivirus software detects Windows viruses as well. Even though those Windows viruses won't harm OS X, they could be fatal to your Boot Camp/Parallels/Fusion installation (if you have one). If not, they can still wreak havoc on someone else's system if you happen to pass infected files along.

With free Mac A/V software available and a continuously increasing probability of a serious viral threat to the Mac, I can't understand why NOT to use something.

15. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

I second ClamXAv, as well as smart browsing and various other security measures (TCP wrappers if you need to enable ssh, securing VNC, etc).

OS X is not immune. In my humble opinion, our community of Mac users is too arrogant about this in general.

16. McGiord, Jan 8, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Since when I don't need an antivirus:

1986 Mac Plus
    90s MacIIsi, PowerMac
    2002 eMac
    2006 MacBook
    2007 iPhone
    2008 and counting

PS: for Bootcamp partition Windows XP Pro McAffe Security Suite included in the Comcast internet service

NEVER PAID AND NEVER WILL!!!
    :D
    ________
    Stearns-Knight

17. dusanv macrumors 6502

I just glanced through ClamXav page and he says there are no OS X viruses right now. I assume he's scanning the hard drive for something. So what's he scanning for? Windows viruses?

18. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

Antiviral software in general is a waste IMO. I never used it on Windows and never got a virus so I know if I could pull that off I can surely manage it on OS X. Just use common sense.

19. Osprey macrumors 6502

Okay, so I have heard that Macs don't need anti-virus protection, but what about security that sweeps for tracing cookies, internet security? Does the same apply? And yes, I understand that you set up your router, etc., but is that enough? :confused:

20. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

21. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

One thing I do is pay attention to Linux security. Often times the vulnerabilities can apply to OS X.

22. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

To test your router security try a scanning service such as Shields Up:
    https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

23. madmax_2069 macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

nice, i seemed to pass all of them with flying colors. some of those seem to be windows only tests

24. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

I'll add another vote for ClamXAV. Yes there are few, if any, viruses on a Mac, but I don't really want to pass on viruses to PC users at work, so I scan my attachments before forwarding.

25. pr5owner macrumors 65816

i dont think you would know if you had a virus if you never had an AV running, some viruses dont attack your computer, they just gather info, your bank account #s, pwds, game keys, OS keys, products keys, everything, and never show themselves, they dont even slow your computer down since they are so small. also these viruses can load just by loading a banner from a website. (as in not downloading but just displaying the banner on a web page)

its true that not to many viruses are for mac... YET, but if youve noticed MACs are increasing in sales at a pretty quick rate, the more popular it is, the more attacks will be made. windows pc's obviously have the most market share which is why everything just rags on MS. but once apple and MS are tied, your OSX system wont be safe anymore.