Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kelly™

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 4, 2008
Hello.
What is the best and hopefully low cost or free antivirus program for OS X?

--Kelly

Kelly™

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 4, 2008
Viruses are present for OS X.
Smantec, Apple, MSNBC, all have articles and proof there are plenty out there and can be transmitted via your web browser or files.

Why wouldn't you have antivirus?

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Viruses are present for OS X.
Smantec, Apple, MSNBC, all have articles and proof there are plenty out there and can be transmitted via your web browser or files.

Why wouldn't you have antivirus?

They are extremely rare.

Kelly™

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 4, 2008
Rare is not good enough.

Would you not lock your doors because it would be rare that anyone try to steal from your house?

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Kelly™;4719022 said:
Rare is not good enough.

Would you not lock your doors because it would be rare that anyone try to steal from your house?

I'm not that paranoid. Just like I don't worry that I'm going to get run over by a bus or struck by lightning every time I step outside my door.

There has never been a serious virus for OSX in its lifetime that has affected millions of Macs ( like you get on windows ).

Personally, I don't consider for one minute that the risk of viruses for OSX warrants getting a virus checker, at this moment in time: Or in otherwords, I consider virus checker on my Mac as overkill.

one1

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
I'm not that paranoid. Just like I don't worry that I'm going to get run over by a bus or struck by lightning every time I step outside my door.

Perfect.

On a side note you have to be pretty much completely numb in the skull to get a virus on a mac because they must be downloaded by YOUR approval. The are not self executable back door viri like on windows that just come as they please.

The alarmists that have screamed "virus on mac" are the one's that don't bother to tell you that to get this virus you have to:

- go to where the file is to be downloaded
- choose to download the file
- give permission for the file to download
- execute the file and install the virus

If you accomplish all of this, for the love of god sell your mac. It's not a virus it's a program.

xpovos

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
Tennessee
If you use Norton on your Mac then you should not be allowed to use a Mac.

:)

Norton for Mac sucks hard. I like Intego VirusBarrier X4, but it doesn't fall into the free category.

Just because there has been no serious threat to Mac OS X so far doesn't mean there won't be one tomorrow---but even if there isn't, most Mac antivirus software detects Windows viruses as well. Even though those Windows viruses won't harm OS X, they could be fatal to your Boot Camp/Parallels/Fusion installation (if you have one). If not, they can still wreak havoc on someone else's system if you happen to pass infected files along.

With free Mac A/V software available and a continuously increasing probability of a serious viral threat to the Mac, I can't understand why NOT to use something.

darwinian

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2008
In R4, more or less
I second ClamXAv, as well as smart browsing and various other security measures (TCP wrappers if you need to enable ssh, securing VNC, etc).

OS X is not immune. In my humble opinion, our community of Mac users is too arrogant about this in general.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
Since when I don't need an antivirus:

1986 Mac Plus
90s MacIIsi, PowerMac
2002 eMac
2006 MacBook
2007 iPhone
2008 and counting

PS: for Bootcamp partition Windows XP Pro McAffe Security Suite included in the Comcast internet service

NEVER PAID AND NEVER WILL!!!
:D
________
Stearns-Knight

Last edited:

dusanv

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2006
I just glanced through ClamXav page and he says there are no OS X viruses right now. I assume he's scanning the hard drive for something. So what's he scanning for? Windows viruses?

GSMiller

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2006
Kentucky
Antiviral software in general is a waste IMO. I never used it on Windows and never got a virus so I know if I could pull that off I can surely manage it on OS X. Just use common sense.

Osprey

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007
In a Galaxy Far, Far Away
Okay, so I have heard that Macs don't need anti-virus protection, but what about security that sweeps for tracing cookies, internet security? Does the same apply? And yes, I understand that you set up your router, etc., but is that enough? :confused:

darwinian

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2008
In R4, more or less
Okay, so I have heard that Macs don't need anti-virus protection, but what about security that sweeps for tracing cookies, internet security? Does the same apply? And yes, I understand that you set up your router, etc., but is that enough? :confused:

One thing I do is pay attention to Linux security. Often times the vulnerabilities can apply to OS X.

pulsewidth947

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2005
I'll add another vote for ClamXAV. Yes there are few, if any, viruses on a Mac, but I don't really want to pass on viruses to PC users at work, so I scan my attachments before forwarding.

pr5owner

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2007
Antiviral software in general is a waste IMO. I never used it on Windows and never got a virus so I know if I could pull that off I can surely manage it on OS X. Just use common sense.

i dont think you would know if you had a virus if you never had an AV running, some viruses dont attack your computer, they just gather info, your bank account #s, pwds, game keys, OS keys, products keys, everything, and never show themselves, they dont even slow your computer down since they are so small. also these viruses can load just by loading a banner from a website. (as in not downloading but just displaying the banner on a web page)

I'll add another vote for ClamXAV. Yes there are few, if any, viruses on a Mac, but I don't really want to pass on viruses to PC users at work, so I scan my attachments before forwarding.

its true that not to many viruses are for mac... YET, but if youve noticed MACs are increasing in sales at a pretty quick rate, the more popular it is, the more attacks will be made. windows pc's obviously have the most market share which is why everything just rags on MS. but once apple and MS are tied, your OSX system wont be safe anymore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.