OS X app to simulate iOS web apps?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by reubs, Apr 10, 2012.

1. reubs macrumors 68000

There are some web apps that I'd like to have access to on the desktop, but creating a web clipping in Automator doesn't give the whole screen, and a SSB in Fluid isn't doing the trick because I can't make it access the page as a mobile browser.

I looked at Xcode, but I'm pretty sure that's more than I want to fuss with.

Any other suggestions?

2. Dakirith macrumors newbie

While you probably don't need the full boat XCode for what you are doing - it would be best to test your iOS web apps against the iOS simulator included with XCode. It's buried in the developer tools (/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneSimulator.platform/Developer/Applications/iPhone Simulator)

3. reubs thread starter macrumors 68000

They're not my apps; they're just some of the web apps that some sites have put forward that are more pleasing than their full sites. Also, I just realized that Xcode is only free as a member of the developer program, and it's not worth dropping that much into it just to fool around with those mobile sites on the desktop.

Thanks for the reply, though!

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

There are free developer accounts - which include XCode.

5. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

6. reubs thread starter macrumors 68000

I can't get Xcode to install, but I will keep trying. I'm going to mess w Fluid again and see what that will do.

Thanks for the replies.

7. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

What problems are you encountering when installing Xcode?

8. wlh99 macrumors 6502

There is an Add-On for firefox that lets you change the User Agent. I used to you that to browse sites that "required" internet explorer but haven't needed to for several years. You might give that a try and set the user agent to a mobile device.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/user-agent-switcher/