OS X Boot Info??

Discussion in 'macOS' started by thriii, Sep 25, 2007.

1. thriii macrumors 6502

is there a file or something that has all the boot info in it? It takes extremely long to boot and I think my macbook pro is looking for something that isnt there.. I Verified Disk Permissions/Verified Disk/Reset PRam (apple/alt/p/r keys) on bootup before I noticed this NEW problem because I was trying to fix another problem but when Startup Came I was asked to authenticate something that had to do with Peer Guardian..Since I never use the program i removed everything that had to do with it with AppDelete and manually and I'm still having the problem. So I was wondering is there a file that I can see what exactly is going on during boot?

2. nigrunze macrumors regular

Just a thought. Did you install Windows with Boot Camp and then remove it? If so and you had Windows as the default OS to boot, you'll have to go to system preferences and change the startup disc to boot to Macintosh HD.

If you didn't use Boot Camp, try choosing your Macintosh HD as the default startup disc anyway. Maybe it could fix the problem.

3. Queso macrumors G4

It may be a USB device. My EyeTV USB stick always causes a cold boot to take forever.

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

At what point is it taking a long time? Before the Apple logo? During? On the "Starting Mac OS X" screen? Somewhere else?

5. thriii thread starter macrumors 6502

Never installed but I do have USB Devices connected but never had this problem before.. and it takes long before the apple logo.. its just a cold screen for atleast 5 minutes and then the apploe logo pops up with the ticking clock looking thing and that takes longer than usual also.. I'm going to take my usb connections out and try started and see how it goes.

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

The most common cause of slow boot times is USB and FireWire devices that are connected to the Mac at boot time. Disconnecting these speeds up booting remarkably, especially on Intel Macs.

Personal experience:
    My PowerPC iMac G5 takes about 2 minutes to cold boot with nothing connected. Add devices, and that time increases to 3 minutes (increasing further if more devices are connected).
    My Intel MacBook Pro cold boots in 20 seconds with nothing connected, and takes at least 30 seconds with devices connected (the exact time depending on the number of devices).

7. thriii thread starter macrumors 6502

solved !

I Called AppleCare and the problem was solved :D my computer would hang at the white screen before the operating system even loaded up so I was told to disconnect the power cord, remove the battery, and hold the power button for atleast 7 seconds. He said this resets the amount of power/electricity getting to all the hardware inside the computer. Then, reset the PRAM by holding the apple key/ alt key/ P key and R key all before pressing the power button.. and hold until I heard 2 chimes. and its solved! instead of gettin to the apple logo in 5 mins it took about 5 seconds. Thought I should type out the procedure incase any1 else had this problem :) thx 4 all the help here

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Did you try this?

9. nigrunze macrumors regular

I was reading another thread on Mac Forums about a month and a half ago where someone installed Windows with Boot Camp and then properly removed the partition with Boot Camp Assistant when they decided they didn't want it anymore. After that OSX took a rediculously long time to boot. It turned out that the EFI was trying to boot the nonexistent partition.

That's where I got the idea from.

Anyway, thriii called AppleCare and was able to fix the problem. So congratulations thriii on getting your MBP to work nicely.