OS X Burning Problem

Discussion in 'macOS' started by appl3p1mp, Mar 4, 2012.

1. appl3p1mp macrumors newbie

I apologize if this is in the wrong section this is my first post here :D

So i erased my HD on my iMac G5 so I could just reinstall with my snow leopard disk... turns out my brother likes to scratch disks. When i attempted to reinstall after booting it with the disk, it stops in the installation process saying there is a problem with the disk, which is believable with all the scratches.
    I then tried burning snow leopard to a DL DVD but i got an error in disk utility with my macbook pro. The disk still appeared to have a successful burn so i put it in the iMac. When booting with c, option, cmmnd+c, opt+C etc. it would not recognize it. I also got an error while using toast on Tiger and the same thing happened . Please help me with this I only have 3 Disks left!

Cheers

----------

furthermore i ran verify and repair disk on my hd to be safe and there are no problems. the problem has to be I'm not burning the dmg and iso to the disk properly. please help

2. simsaladimbamba

Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard is only working on Intel Macs (Macs from 2006 and onwards), and as you have a PPC Mac, it will not work on that Mac.
    That is why you can't use that install DVD, especially if it is a copy of a grey Restore DVD (which doesn't mean you can use a Retail DVD either).

Apple's transition to Intel processors

You can only use 10.5.8 as the maximum OS.

3. appl3p1mp thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply, but this computer is intel, i'm sure of it. I'm almost positive that the problem is i'm not burning it right. The snow leopard disk shows up normally with utilities and all, it's just scratched. Even if it was a PPC tiger would have worked but it didn't :(

4. simsaladimbamba

Then it is not a G5 iMac, as a G5 is a PPC processor.

Have you employed the burning steps explained here?
    How To Make Copies of DVDs

And Tiger might have not worked too, depending on the source of your Tiger image. There never was a Universal Binary Tiger Retail DVD out there, only grey Restore DVDs, which are tied to the model, they came with.

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Okay...This is a long shot but if it's your only option apart from ordering replacement disks from Apple, then it's worth a try.

Get hold of some liquid silver or brass polish. Follow these steps CAREFULLY!

1) Put a very small dab of the polish on a micro fibre cloth.

2) Using a circular motion with a small amount of pressure, wipe the disk as if you were cleaning it but with slightly more pressure.

3) Using a clean micro fibre cloth with nothing but water on it remove all traces of the polish.

4) Test the disk. Repeat if it didn't work first time.

MAke CERTAIN you have removed ALL traces of the polish before inserting the disk in the machine.

I have also known people use toothpaste the same way.

6. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Click on the Apple icon in the Menubar, and then on About This Mac. It will tell you in the pop-up which processor your Mac has.

7. sha4000 macrumors regular

Are you sure of this bcuz I have a black tiger install dvd with xcode 2 on it

8. simsaladimbamba

Do you mean the "There never was a Universal Binary Tiger Retail DVD out there" part? If so, what does have Xcode 2 to do with it? Xcode 2 was released in 2004, Apple announced its switch to Intel in 2005 and released the first Macs with Intel CPUs in early 2006. As Tiger was released in spring 2005, and Leopard was released in October 2007, there was no need for a Universal Binary Retail DVD for Tiger, as every Intel Mac already came with Tiger.

With Universal Binary I mean this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_binary
    The available Retail disks with Tiger on it, were only working with PPC Macs.

9. sha4000 macrumors regular

Calm down! Im telling you I have a tiger install dvd thats not tied to ANY specific machine . Its black not grey and i just mentioned it has xcode2 on it for your benefit before you asked me what was written on it in the next post!

10. simsaladimbamba

I am calm, I am referring to a Universal Binary Retail disk for Tiger. I don't deny the existence of a normal Retail disk for Tiger, I had one myself for my iBook, but those disks only worked for PPC Macs.

It seems to me, that you don't understand, what I mean with Universal Binary though. Or do you?

Anyway, regarding the topic, the OP can't have a Retail version of Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger, that works on an Intel Mac, that was all I was getting at. It can't be that hard to understand, can it?

11. sha4000 macrumors regular

Ok your right I didn't understand thats why i quoted you in the beginning. I was just looking for clarification. I read the link and I now understand what you meant. Thx for the lesson.