OS X buying Tiger

Discussion in 'macOS' started by nomadix, Oct 29, 2007.

1. nomadix macrumors regular

howdy Folks:

I am thinking of upgrading my G5 from Panther to Tiger - and I see many selling Tiger on auction sites
    My question is ; If you have 2 machines - you either buy 2 discs or buy the family pack -no?
    yet if you have already installed Tiger single into a machine - then upgrade to leopard - is possible to sell this tiger you already installed on auction - to someone who can install it on their machine - ?

Cheers in advance;

2. Mac OS X Ocelot macrumors 6502a

Mac OS X Ocelot

Copies of the OS can only be used legally on one computer. Period. Buying someone else's that they actually used at least once is against the agreement. Family packs are for five macs in the same household, not for other people's. That said, yes it will work, you'll just feel guilty your whole life.

3. nomadix thread starter macrumors regular

howdy Ocelot:

I figured it was something like that - I was told something similar at the Genius bar when G4 went in for repairs

the point of family pack for those that have 5 machines - would suggest that once installed - that no is recorded in machine - transmits to Apple when you get updates - and if some other machine shows up with that code - a few people with restless sleep

or no?

cheers:

4. Mac OS X Ocelot macrumors 6502a

Mac OS X Ocelot

I've heard debate whether Apple knows about more machines than one using the same install disk or not. Do or don't, Apple doesn't pursue any action against the user, whether legal or withholding updates like MS. It's all the honor system.

5. nomadix thread starter macrumors regular

Howdy again Ocelot :

Again - same thing I heard from a Genius. makes sense

Thanks for the info

Cheers:

6. VintageMac macrumors member

Similar question here--

A few months ago I got a refurbished MB 2.0 running 10.4.10. I also have an eMac G4 1.25 with 512MB ram running 10.3.9. I'm thinking Leopard would slow the eMac to a crawl and I really don't want to spend $200. for a family pack. Now that 10.5. is out, is it possible to get an upgrade from 10.3. to 10.4. for a very reduced price? If so, where? I'd prefer if both my computers were running the same OS. Thanks for any tips!

Vintage