Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mmaher5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2013
Hi all.

I purchased a MBP in 2009 (2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo) to replace my old and non-functional MBP from 2007 (2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, OS X 10.4.11 currently). It was suffering from recurring Kernel panics, a faulty optical drive, and a broken screen; it had clearly seen better days. Well, due to this Nor'Easter we had this weekend, I decided to tear this thing open and get it working. I ended up resolving the recurring Kernel panics, and found an old external monitor to use for the time being. I also stumbled upon the OS X 10.5.4 install disc that came with my new MBP, so I figured I'd update the old laptop. Since the optical drive doesn't work, I used the Disk Utility with a new flash drive and did a "restore" on the flash drive with the OS X 10.5.4 install disc and the flash drive (with the correct formatting). When I plug the flash drive into the old MBP, I get the popup that asks to install OS X, and when I reboot with the flash drive in, it asks me to choose a language. The next thing that happens is I get the "OS X cannot be installed" error. Can anyone shed some light on this? I've verified and repaired the HDD but no errors were found.

Thanks.

Nov 28, 2010
located
It does not work, since the grey Restore DVD coming with your new Mac only work with that model and not with any other Macs.

You could however buy the 19 USD Upgrade DVD of Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard from the Apple Online Store or put the old Mac in Target Disk Mode, insert the USB flash memory thumb drive or Restore DVD of the new Mac into the new Mac's optical disk drive (ODD) and during the selection of which HDD to install to select the old MBP's properly formatted HDD* and install onto that. That should work.

mmaher5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2013
Ah, okay that makes sense. Now I just need to find a Firewire cable...

How does doing it this way differ from booting into the OS X installer from the flash drive (other than the obvious target disk mode boot)?:confused:

Nov 28, 2010
located
Ah, okay that makes sense. Now I just need to find a Firewire cable...

How does doing it this way differ from booting into the OS X installer from the flash drive (other than the obvious target disk mode boot)?:confused:

Because the Restore DVD will recognise the actual Mac as the Mac it can be used with and the MBP in Target Disk Mode is only recognised as external HDD, thus it does not mind its use in that case. Is that understandable?

mmaher5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2013
Because the Restore DVD will recognise the actual Mac as the Mac it can be used with and the MBP in Target Disk Mode is only recognised as external HDD, thus it does not mind its use in that case. Is that understandable?

Yes, that makes sense. I was able to do it this way successfully. Thank you for your help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.