OS X can't see wireless card

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Jethryn Freyman, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

I have a TP Link USB wireless card with the Realtek RT73 chipset, OS X 10.5 Intel.

I plug it in, and it is not recognised by the system. Previously, it would come up with a dialog box when I plugged it in asking if I wanted to configure it. Now, it isn't detected at all. ifconfig doesn't detect it.

This started happening after I installed the drivers for the card. The drivers never worked, so I removed them. Every single driver file and kerel extension has been removed, but it is no longer detected. A reboot didn't fix it, and the wireless card itself is fine.

Any ideas why I can't see it?

2. Jethryn Freyman thread starter macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

3. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Have you tried downloading the latest drivers from their website? Most driver CDs are really out of date by the time you get them.

4. Jethryn Freyman thread starter macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

It never came with a driver CD, so I had to download them. The latest drivers are for 10.4.

Before I installed the drivers, the system would recognise it as a wireless network interface. I installed them, they didn't work properly, so I totally uninstalled them, every last file, and now the card isn't detected at all in OS X.

For what I am doing, I don't actually need drivers for the card, I just need it to be detectable by the system.

5. macfrik macrumors 6502

macfrik

Are you using a non Apple machine? Try different USB port that you have on your computer.

6. Jethryn Freyman thread starter macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

It's a mid 2007 Macbook Pro.

Changing USB ports hasn't helped.

7. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Your MBP comes with built-in wireless. Why are you trying to use a USB wireless device ?

8. Jethryn Freyman thread starter macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

So I can connect to two networks, or connect to one network and run the other card in passive mode.

9. Jethryn Freyman thread starter macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Problem solved. I installed Realtek's generic OS X 10.5 drivers for my chipset and configured it manually in system preferences.