OS X Clone

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bluethree, Jun 18, 2010.

1. Bluethree macrumors regular

Bluethree

Folks I appreciate I can use Carbon Copy or Superduper to clone OS X disks but having not used them will either of these programs allow me to clone from my new 13 MBP with 500GB HDD to 256 GB SSD i.e. Compress the original disk volume like Acronis True Images on Windows? Thanks.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

They will clone 1:1, so no compression involved, thus 100GB of data on the HDD will be 100GB of data on the SSD.

3. Bluethree thread starter macrumors regular

Bluethree

So if it's a new OS X install on the 500 GB HDD will it just replicate the actual install files or will it seek to put the unallocated on the target disk which physically is only half the size?

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

If you have 8GB* of data on the HDD it will only copy 8GB to the SSD, the free HDD and SSD space will not be touched by the cloning software.

* size of fresh SL installation I think

5. Bluethree thread starter macrumors regular

Bluethree

Thanks for your help and I assume it will not just create a small 8GB partition but rather use the full space available on the SSD disk. Finally any preference between CCC and SD? Thanks :)

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Cloning is just copying data, 1:1, it will not create a separate partition.
    If you clone 8GB of a 465GB partition to a 256GB partition, the 256GB partition will not be resized or changed in any way, just 8GB of data will be added to it, thus the remaining available storage capacity is 256GB minus 8GB.

CCC, as it is free and does its job quite fine.

MRoogle might find you dozens of threads about preferences amongst the two programs.

7. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

SuperDouper does a great job, no free but worth the price...

8. Bluethree thread starter macrumors regular

Bluethree

Appreciated folks