OS X Computer Icons

Discussion in 'macOS' started by AnonMac50, Sep 8, 2010.

1. AnonMac50 macrumors 65816

In Snow Leopard, when a Mac with Leopard or higher shows up on a network with other Macs with Leopard or Snow Leopard, their icon shows up as a their type of computer (like a 17" PowerBook G4 shows up as a 17" PowerBook G4 and an iSight iMac G5 shows up as an iSight iMac G5), and an unknown Mac shows up as a Cinema Display, and a Linux or Windows computer shows up with an old CRT Moniter that has a Windows 98 BSOD.

To cut to the chase, is there a way to extract these icons from OS X? Also, is there a way to extract other icons the same way. Where could I find these icons in the system?

Thanks in Advance.

AnonMac50:D:D

2. cheesygrin macrumors member

In the Finder, select the computer in the Sidebar that you want to get the icon for. (If they aren't showing up in the finder, go into the Sidebar preferences and make sure that the option to display Bonjour computers is ticked)

Click File / Get Info or hit command+I. Click on the little icon right at the top left of the Info window so that it highlights slightly. Click Edit/Copy. Go into an image application (such as Photoshop), create a new document, click Edit/Paste.

Hope this helps!

3. AnonMac50 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thank you, but I have already done that for the ones that show up (and for my own MBP), but what about computers that aren't on the network? I know they have to be stored in the system somewhere.

4. Hal Itosis macrumors 6502a

Hal Itosis

Here's the BSOD:

/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/public.generic-pc.icns

The rest are probably in that same folder.

5. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

they are, thanks for the tip.

6. AnonMac50 thread starter macrumors 65816