OS X Crashes on the Apple loading screen

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Robert.g, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Robert.g macrumors newbie

As the title says, as soon as I start up my 2006 model 24" iMac.. OS X crashes and I don't know why heh. I'm running Tiger also.

The crash happens after I select OS X from the Bootcamp screen. (I have Bootcamp from the Beta still) It gets to the little gray Apple symbol, loads a little and then just crashes.
    I suspect it has something to do with when I updated my 7600 GTs graphics drivers in Windows as Windows continues to not work also on boot up.

You may say it's a broken mobo or displaced RAM but it isn't. When I uninstalled the the graphics cards drivers in Windows I was able to boot fine into it. The nVidia Forceware drivers were the cause, they said they were bug free ha.. if you check the nVidia forums you'll see a lot of people have this problem with Windows.
    But back on topic,
    I've tried reinstalling OS X by trying to boot to the disc when holding down C.. it crashes.
    Holding down shift.. it crashes.

If anyone knows how I can fix this problem, please tell heh.

2. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Since it still crashes when booting off the install CD it would not be problems with the nVidia drivers for Mac OS X at any rate. As the hard drive and its files play no role in the booting of OS X off of the CD.

Based on your description I would say you have a faulty motherboard component or a bad piece of RAM. If still under warranty I would bring into an authorized Apple service center.

Otherwise start by testing for faulty memory. Remove all external components except a keyboard and mouse. Remove one stick of RAM and try booting from the CD, as the OS X partition could have become corrupted, if that does not work try the other RAM stick. Then alternate the sticks in the other RAM slot to rule out a bad memory slot.

From their your most likely cause would be a faulty motherboard component. The less likely causes would be a faulty CPU or Powersupply. Unfortunately the only part of these that can be tested without replacement is the powersupply. If you have a volt meter and can find a pin-out guide. On the motherboard you can look for swollen and damaged capacitors but many other problems can also be at fault such a bad graphics memory, GPU, northbidge etc...