OS X Desktop Replacement Mystery

Discussion in 'macOS' started by TigerBluez, Oct 22, 2007.

1. TigerBluez macrumors newbie

One of my clients recently switched computers, Upgrading from an ancient to a new IMac, the latter running 10.4.10. She had the computer for ahwile before I actually transferred the files from the old computer to the new one, and had changed the former users login name to reflect her own, though the short version remained the name of the old user.

I copied about 20gigs worth of files from the old Imac to her public folder, and everything went fine. She did not, however, fully understand how to get into the Public folder, so I simply dragged the subfolder containing the backups onto the desktop. I then left town, but she tells me that she spent the next day updating her Safari shortcuts, moving her documents into the documents folder, and generally setting up the computer.

When she came in the next day, for some ambiguous reason, the computer had replaced the desktop containing the backups folder with a default install desktop (nothing on it at all, default background, etc,) and all of her new settings for safari had completely disapeared. The files she had transferred into the documents folder were still there.

The first thing I did was to check the log to see if anything odd had occured, but as far as I can tell nothing happened from when she left the computer at 6:15PM to when she came back at about 8:30AM the next day except that the computer went to sleep, as programmed, some 30 minutes after she left.

The dielemma is that I no longer have the orriginal backups on the old computer since that computer has already changed owners. The hard drive space remaining reflects the ammount which was current after I had transferred the backups into the computer, meaning that they are still there, but without the folder to click on, I cannot access the files. I have searched everywhere and the folder simply no longer exists.

So essentially I am trying to get into a room which no longer has a door. Any suggestions?

I apologize if I have posted in the wrong place, I am new to this forum.

Thank you,
    TigerBluez.

2. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

She probably renamed her Home folder. Did you check in the Users directory?

3. TigerBluez thread starter macrumors newbie

Ya that was my first stop.. nothing. Any renaming occured well in advance of the actual file transfer. Im completely stumped.

4. threedaysatsea macrumors newbie

Hey Tiger,
    Welcome to the forums, firstly. I had a similar situation happen to me, with much panicking - have you tried logging in using her username and perusing around her ~/ structure?

5. TigerBluez thread starter macrumors newbie

Could ytou

Could you tell me how to do that? I am not too experienced on Macs, I mainly do hardware and windows tech support.

6. threedaysatsea macrumors newbie

Myself as well! The one thing you have to remember is that Administrator accounts don't have full access to other user's Home folders, unlike a Windows system. The only account that has full, unadultered access, is root. Just log out of your account, and her account should be on the login screen. Log in as her, and just browse around her Home folder, paying special attention to the Public directory. I once, a few years ago, spent about two hours freaking out because I thought I lost all of my iTunes library when trying to share it via SMB.

Chris M.