OS X DISCS Which computer are they for?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by stevesmac, Apr 4, 2009.

1. stevesmac macrumors newbie

I recently bought an eMac and the person selling it me gave me a batch of discs. I have 2 discs which won't work on it and I have no idea what they will work on
    There are 2 discs
    iMac Mac OS X Install Disc 1 & 2
    MAC OS X version 10.4.4
    AHT Version 3A 100
    Disc version 1.0 & 1.1
    2Z691 5736a & 2Z691 5607A

Any help would be appreciated
    thanks

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

You need the eMac's install discs, you have discs for an iMac (unless you really meant iMac?). If you're looking for an install disc to work on your computer, you would need a retail version of Mac OS X or call AppleCare to send you install discs for your eMac. Depending on which eMac you have, AppleCare might or might not have the specific install discs so they'll just send you a retail version of Panther (10.3) or Tiger (10.4), most likely Tiger. Each disc will run you about $15 without tax.

3. stevesmac thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks i will do that.
    Would you know which iMac they are for as I have also a G4 Imac 17" but the 2 discs will not work with that computer
    thanks

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

At this point, those discs you have no use to you other than running utilities off of it. Again, those discs are for a specific computer (perhaps to the person who you purchased it from?). Unless you have the right computer, you can't do anything with it.

5. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

yep. they are hardware specific. i did the same thing with a mac mini. buuut any way - if you know someone with a computer that was recently formatted - you could clone their drives with SuperDuper and put it back in your computer

simple :)

make sure target disk works first so you have the right kexts

6. stevesmac thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks floticalcube
    Does that mean they will work on ANY machine of that ype or only the one with which they were issued. Basically I want to sell em!

7. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

You can try but I believe that they're "serialized" meaning that it should only work for that specific computer it came with. I could be wrong, I forgot what the spec sheet said.

8. MTI macrumors 65816

Is this machine type specific install limitation a fairly recent change? I recall using iBook discs to load OS X (Panther) on a G3 400 iMac DV.

9. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I think they changed it for 10.4 and later. On second thought, it should work. Not on any iMac but the generation it was released for or with. (But obviously, we don't know what generation it is...lol)