Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RiseAgainst

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2003
For some reason many (not all) of my Illustrator 10 files are being displayed with the wrong icon. They show up as .PDF icons. The first time I noticed it i tried to open it and i got some message like, "This macitosh cannot open the files due to a system error". After i got that i fixed permissions. The files still displayed the wrong icon but luckly they now open up. Is there any way to "repair icons" like on a pc?

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Select one of the files. Open a "Get Info" window on it, then use the Open With... feature (i think it's in Get Info, perhaps a contextual menu)... Then make sure Illustrator is selected. This is the OS X way to change creator codes... Once the proper creator is assigned, the OS should look to Illustrator for the proper icons for that filename extension (which you should also double-check)...

pnw

idea_hamster

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2003
NYC, or thereabouts
I just had a similar issue, but with Photoshop 7 -- I openned a file (actually a series of files) using the Open Recent> menu item, edited and saved. At first, they had no icon at all in the finder window. After I closed and re-openned the folder, they had the heart-shaped "Favorites" icon instead of the thumbnail. *?!* I didn't have a problem openning, but it's still a bit odd. Any suggestions?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.