OS X Dock, 2D or not 2D......

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Mr.Noisy, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Mr.Noisy macrumors 65816

Mr.Noisy

Ok here's the deal, Ive been using the 3D dock since installing Snow Leopard, and fancied a change so tried switching to 2D using candybar, nothing changed :confused: so I opened terminal using the defauls command and nothing happened. Am i missing something, in Leopard it changed like the weather, no problems, but in Snow Leopard it doesn't want to change, not a major issue, but it would be nice to switch to 2D on the bottom for a while.

thanks in advance of any advice to help ;)

2. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

What terminal command are you typing?
    I just tried this and it works in SL.
    Code:
    defaults write com.apple.dock no-glass -boolean YES;
     killall Dock

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I use a program called docker to change the dock. It simplifies the change and avoids the need for going into terminal

4. Forsaken macrumors regular

Forsaken

If you're just changing it to 2D opening up Terminal isn't going to kill you. Takes only a few seconds.

5. Mr.Noisy thread starter macrumors 65816

Mr.Noisy

Thanks for the replies guys, tried all these and a few more, works ok on the left or right, but no joy on the bottom :(

it's starting to hack me off now, started as a mess about, now i really want the 2D dock and it's got to be something simple i'm missing :confused: but what,
    any other idea's greatly appreciated :)

6. Saturn1217 macrumors 6502a

yeah just using the terminal command works fine for me. It was one of the first things I did after installing snow leopard because I really prefer the 2d dock

did you type "killall Dock" afterwards (without the quotes)?

just paste this into the terminal:

defaults write com.apple.dock no-glass -boolean YES; killall Dock

that works for me. Sorry if it doesn't help :(

Oops I see someone already posted this

7. Jayomat macrumors 6502a

Jayomat

8. mac2x macrumors 65816

Why would I want to get another application to do something I can do with an application that I already have? :confused: All you are doing is writing to the property list com.apple.dock (~/Library/Preferences). If you have the Xcode tools, you can look at it in Property List Editor, and do the same thing w/o using terminal. But terminal is easier IMHO. :D

[edit] Actually, PLE is handier after you write the preference because you can check/uncheck boolean options.

Attached Files:

9. Mr.Noisy thread starter macrumors 65816

Mr.Noisy

All Sorted thanks guy's :)

had a few issues to sort out on the os x side of things, had a lot of time on my hands today so i did a clean install of the os, cured all my issue's,
    now running a nice 2D dock, with square corners and arrow indicators thanks to a useful little app called Docker, but the re-install of the OS did prompt me to set up both my email accounts as imap instead of pop and it cleaned out a few unwanted/unused apps so ive freed up some Hard disk space, so some good came of it, Thanks for your time ;)