OS X Dock

Discussion in 'macOS' started by That-Is-Bull, May 19, 2008.

1. That-Is-Bull macrumors 6502

That-Is-Bull

Most OS X applications don't allow windows to be resized below the dock, 'cause of standards or whatever. It's a waste of space and it looks bad. The new Firefox is going to follow this rule too, and it's annoying as hell. Is there any way to disable this effect, through Terminal or something?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

3. That-Is-Bull thread starter macrumors 6502

That-Is-Bull

That's what I've been doing, but it's slower and annoying sometimes. I'd much rather have it always up without using a ton of space.

4. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

5. That-Is-Bull thread starter macrumors 6502

That-Is-Bull

Slower and annoying sometimes. And kind of awkward.

I didn't ask for placement suggestions, I asked if there's a way to disable that restriction.

6. Geoff! macrumors newbie

Nudge, nudge... wink, wink... say no more!

Ok, so this isn't the most elegant or technical solution, but...

Size your window all the way down to the dock, as far as it will let you. Then, grab the title bar and "nudge" the window down a further pixel or two. Finally, now that you've already broken the dock barrier, use the resize gadget again to pull the window out all the way (assuming you haven't carelessly hoofed the resize gadget all the way behind a dock icon! :p).

7. That-Is-Bull thread starter macrumors 6502

That-Is-Bull

That works, but then when I move the window or switch to it with Exposé, it resizes back above the dock.

8. sOwL macrumors 6502

sOwL

dude, just hide the dock, resize the window to go all the way down, and unhide the dock. I dont find a reason doing that though, the dock will be infront of some part of the window so thats worse than just some waste of space - which isnt a waste of space, its the dock lol

9. That-Is-Bull thread starter macrumors 6502

That-Is-Bull

Then when I move the window, or switch to it with Exposé, it's resized back above the dock.
    Well, the only thing that's blocked by the dock in Firefox is the middle of the status bar and a few pixels at the very bottom of websites (two lines of Copyright text hidden on MR, oh lawd), which is nothing. But when the dock pushes the window up, it takes up 55 pixels and the full width of my screen, and puts the status bar on top of it, which is only used for the left and right sides and is a waste of space.

Basically, with the dock above the window, it takes up 923x28 pixels, and with the dock pushing the window it's 1680x75 pixels. It also looks horrible and makes the dock's reflection look worse 'cause it's just a darkened part of your desktop and a small grey bar at the bottom, staying the same. Having the dock over windows does block stuff in some applications, but that's what resizing is for.

What I'd really like to see is a snapping effect with resizing.

10. sOwL macrumors 6502

sOwL

mhm it seems ur using leopard... (the reflection comments..) so im not sure because what i told you to do worked for me in tiger, and expose didnt chang the size of the window. :S

Also btw, get rid of firefox, opera rules:)

11. TH-Gunner macrumors regular