Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nicolaselhani

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 1, 2015
Hello,

I've just installed OS X El Capitan as an upgrade from OS Yosemite on a late 2013 retina MacBook Pro.

There are two little tweaks I used to have on Yosemite that worked great that no longer work.

1. To be able to select and copy contents from Quick Look within the Finder and Mail, I would open Terminal and type the following:
  • defaults write com.apple.finder QLEnableTextSelection -bool TRUE; killall Finder
  • defaults write com.apple.mail QLEnableTextSelection -bool TRUE; killall Finder
2. I use a lot of Alias folders, and the AliasIconBadge with the little arrow on the folder annoyed me, so to get rid of the arrow on the Alias folder I would:
  • Copy the file GenericFolderIcon.icns to your Downloads from /System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes/Contents/Resources and rename it to AliasBadgeIcon.icns
  • Copy the newly-named AliasBadgeIcon.icns back to /System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes/Contents/
The problem with the second folder, is that it is not letting me copy contents back into the /System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes/Contents/Resources folder. In Yosemite and previous OS X versions you would be able to input your administrator password and copy a file.

Are there any ways you guys are aware around this? Especially for copying a folder into the Resources folder either through Terminal or another method?

Any help or tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Nick

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Number 2 is not possible as long as System Integrity Protection is active. What you can do is disable it in Recovery OS (from there open Terminal and type csrutil disable, then reboot), swap the icons and then enable it again.

Number 1 sounds like a change in those apps. I do know that the free tool TinkerTool has an option to disable this across the system, maybe that still works?

Reactions: nicolaselhani

nicolaselhani

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 1, 2015
Number 2 is not possible as long as System Integrity Protection is active. What you can do is disable it in Recovery OS (from there open Terminal and type csrutil disable, then reboot), swap the icons and then enable it again.

Number 1 sounds like a change in those apps. I do know that the free tool TinkerTool has an option to disable this across the system, maybe that still works?

Thank you so much for the tip KALLT

I had no idea El Capitan had this new feature called SIP. Macworld just did a comprehensive article on what it is and how to modify it for anyone that was searching for this and happens to fall on this thread: http://www.macworld.com/article/298...ystem-integrity-protection-in-el-capitan.html

I'm going to try to do that and report back here.

I'll also try Tinkertool.

Thanks again.

Nick

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.