OS X El Capitan and MPlayerX

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by nicolaselhani, Oct 12, 2015.

1. nicolaselhani macrumors newbie

OS X El Capitan has screwed up my MplayerX v1.1.0 (latest version)

Basically everything works normally except one thing. Videos are slightly pixelated. Smooth curves like the outline of a face from the profile will be slightly jagged. Has anyone else experienced this? Or is it just me?

If so, maybe it's because OS X El Capitan was done as an upgrade. If I had done a clean install of everything, do you think it would have been fine?

Any tips or comments are welcome.

Thanks,

Nick

2. comics addict macrumors 6502a

I just used mine yesterday and it all worked out fine. Try uninstalling and reinstalling it.

3. nicolaselhani thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried uninstalling but somehow problem persists. I think I'm gonna try a clean install and hope it works. If you go on twitter and type "MplayerX pixelated" you'll see I'm not the only one with the problem.

It is only visible with HD files whether they're in an mp4 or mkv container, and when lines are close together. It's very distracting. Anyways thanks for the feedback. I'll report back once I do a clean install of El Capitan and MplayerX.

4. amors macrumors member

Yes, for me the same. Now I use Movist.

5. KALLT macrumors 601

Mind you that MPlayerX is associated with adware (potentially malware) when you install it with the package installer. I wouldn’t touch that program anymore. Consider alternatives.

6. nicolaselhani thread starter macrumors newbie

Did you do a clean install of El Capitan or was it a direct upgrade?

7. nicolaselhani thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I just skip the two windows where it shows that it wants to install the adware. What do you recommend, besides VLC?

Thanks

8. KALLT, Oct 13, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2015

KALLT macrumors 601

Honestly, a developer who does something like this, even attempts to mislead security researchers, is shifty. Who knows what else they put into their code and what they will attempt in the future. Note also that they abandoned the safer App Store version and haven’t updated the source code in a long time (more than two years ago). The software from this developer is not to be trusted. My advice: avoid.

QuickTime X is actually a good player, because it uses licensed and industry-standard codecs. VLC is a good open-source alternative, but it uses its own codecs. I personally also use mpv (based on the underlying source code of Player on which MPlayerX is also based) which seems to be the only player that can handle higher frame rates in high resolution smoothly on my 2008 MacBook (but at a cost of resources and energy). Movist was also mentioned, but it costs money on the App Store and I’m not sure where it comes from as the source code on Google Project Hosting has not been updated since 2010.

9. amors macrumors member

Clean install.

10. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

11. nicolaselhani thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh wow, thanks for the warning. I had no idea. It's crazy to think there are thousands if not more people who use MPlayerX, this should somehow be a PSA.

I've been and downloaded mpv on the link you provided. But I'm not very good technically when it comes to applications with no GUI. I've been trying to figure out a way to play files with it, but I'm having trouble, is there something I'm missing?

Thanks again

12. nicolaselhani thread starter macrumors newbie

Properly checking the edges of objects in HD? like a face or object?

13. nicolaselhani thread starter macrumors newbie

14. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

not sure what you mean... i watch movies, they play fine. the image is sharp, clear, the sound is in sync...

15. nicolaselhani thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry my bad, I got mpv to work great. It's actually awesome. So simple and lightweight.

What did you mean at a cost of resources and energy? It's very taxing on mac OS?

16. KALLT macrumors 601

I noticed that it uses quite a bit of CPU on my MacBook. But that’s okay for me, as I’m typically not watching films while using battery or doing anything else and I want a solid framerate.