OS X equivalent of Norton Ghost?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by matt9b, May 16, 2009.

1. matt9b macrumors member

Being told many times that I can do anything on OSX that I can do on Windows, I made the switch from PC to brand new Intel Mac Pro! =)

Now, I'd like to backup my hard disk. It has a Windows (bootcamp) partition and an OS X partition.

On a PC, this would be an easy one-click job with Norton Ghost. What is the equivalent of Ghost for Mac OS X? What can I use to backup my entire hard disk?

So, to re-iterate, I want to backup an entire physical hard disk that has a windows partiion and an OS X partition. I'd like to back it up to another physical hard disk. This way I have 2 identical hard disks and can just swap them over in the event of failure.

I don't want to mess around with copying a partition at a time, since this will be a quick regular backup, I want a simple and reliable software like Norton Ghost to do the job for me.

How can you do this on OS X?

And please don't tell me there is no way to do it, because I'm tired of mac fanboys insisting that OS X can do anything, and then finding out many things that are simple on PC are "not possible" on OS X. Its making me a bit peed off with the fanboys!

Here's hoping there's a simple solution to this one! :)

Thanks

2. rekhyt macrumors 65816

You can do that with Time Machine for the OS X partition (Just swap the HD after the Time Machine backup and then plug the external HD with the Time Machine backup and restore from there and it would be the same.)

For the XP partition... It's not possible with Time Machine. I'm also looking for a solution since I'm looking to replace the HD on my MacBook.

3. Lone Deranger macrumors 65816

Lone Deranger

You could try CopyCatX.
    Never used it myself (don't give a toss about my BootCamp partition to be honest :D), but their website talks about the ability to backup OSX as well as Windows. So how smooth it works I couldn't tell you.

4. matt9b thread starter macrumors member

a.) I don't want to mess around with copying a partition at a time
    b.) Time Machine cannot make a bootable backup

5. matt9b thread starter macrumors member

"When set to duplicate volumes, CopyCatX can only work with Apple’s HFS+ file system format. "

6. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

To back up your Mac OS partition, you can use Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper.

To back up your Windows partition, you can use WinClone.

So to backup a Mac with a HFS+ and NTFS partition, I would do the following:

1. Connect the external HD via FW800 that I am going to use for backup.
    2. Use CCC to clone the internal Mac partition (HFS+) to the external HD.
    3. Use WinClone to create an image of the NTFS partition and save the image file to the external HD.

Personally, I use CCC and WinClone almost weekly due to my job. Both work great. YMMV. :)

7. Luis Ortega macrumors 6502a

Use superduper. it's free.

8. ncmason macrumors regular

ncmason

9. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

iBackup is a good app.

However, there is an important difference between iBackup and cloning a HD. Carbon Copy Cloner and Super Duper make clones of the HD. So if I make a clone with Carbon Copy Cloner (my preferred app) to an external HD. And my internal HD dies. I can immediately boot with my external HD.

With iBackup, I cannot do this.

10. ncmason macrumors regular

ncmason

@Sushi,
    I'm well aware of this. I don't have the need, currently, for a cloned drive.

I just use iBackup to copy personal files (Photos, Documents, and Sites).

I'm actually about to start trying out some new backup methods — the new online backup services are becoming a lot more promising now.

But, yes, I would definitely get CCC for cloning your Mac's HD. I like the developer who made the app, he's a good guy :D

11. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Sorry. My comments were directed to the OP and not you.

I've tried iBackup and it works fine for what you mention.

If you are interested in on-line backup, that works similar to iBackup, you might want to check out Carbonite. I've been using it for about a month. Like it.

Completely agree.

12. StingerT125 macrumors 6502a

StingerT125

If a PC had an OS X formatted partition on it could Norton Ghost copy it?

13. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

That was the question I had too

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

14. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I use an early version of Ghost and it will only backup a single PC partition.

Not sure about later versions.

Maybe someone will try it with the latest version of Ghost and we'll know for sure.

15. Bourgoises Pig macrumors newbie

16. matt9b thread starter macrumors member

Interesting idea. I would expect so, since I think norton ghost can use a low level raw copy, which doesn't depend on file structure - but I don't know for certain.

I still have not found a solution to the original issue, and none of the suggestions here really address the real issue - part of the problem is that most mac users don't seem to fully understand. iBackup does not do the trick, and neither does any other software suggested on here. CCC does not clone a win partition. WinClone I tried, but it has not made the win partition bootable on startup. The developers won't reply to emails.

So, still searching...

17. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I am gonna guess not... I don't believe you can do what you are asking on the Mac side on the Windows side either (i.e. clone both OS partitions at the same time). Perhaps someone can validate this, but regardless, I don't think you will find what you are looking for on the Mac, at least not yet.

You will have to back up/clone the 2 partitions separately, and you have been given solutions to do that with Carbon Copy Cloner/Super Duper and WinClone. If you want a bootable clone of your Windows partition, perhaps you can run Ghost from BootCamp to another Windows formatted drive. I don't have a need for this, so I have not attempted it.

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

18. tekio macrumors regular

I've used dd to clone hundreds of drives, don't see why it wouldn't work in this situation.

19. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I think the OP is looking for a software solution with a simple UI, not Unix command line solutions, but I won't speak for the OP. He/she can answer for him/herself.

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

20. pyrodex macrumors 6502

pyrodex

SuperDuper is the way to go! It is easy and quick but powerful if you know how to do some extra steps within it. The Paid version gives you the ability to schedule backups too so worth it if you want that aspect.