OS X Equivalent of Windows dBpoweramp

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by JoelBC, Nov 23, 2013.

1. JoelBC macrumors 6502a

I am a former Windows user who has moved over to OS X.

In Windows there as a wonderful application called dBpoweramp http://www.dbpoweramp.com/cd-ripper.htm that checked CD rips by comparing them to external databases to ensure that the rip was bit-perfect.

In OS X what are the equivalent applications (the only one I could find online is called XLD) and what are people's experiences with them.

TIA,

Joel

PS. Apologies for posting this but with the search feature disabled there is simply too much to read.

2. ChrisA macrumors G4

XLD works very well. But iTunes will query the same database and pull the same data. If you are just ripping CDs why not use iTunes.? I se XLD for transcodings that iTunes can't do.

I don't understand WHY yo need an external database ti see if a CD rip is "bit perfect" when you have the CD itself. Can't you check the rip against the CD?

CDs have error correction codes on then so that software can detect if there is a read error and in many cases correct the error. It uses Reed-Soloman.

Here is a fairly simple (semi-technical) explanation. You can see why I'd not worry to much about errors getting not the data and you not knowing.
    http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/project/pscico-guyb/realworld/www/reedsolomon/reed_solomon_codes.html

3. JoelBC thread starter macrumors 6502a

I did not know that iTunes actually checks external databases to ensure that the CD rip is bit perfect...can you point me to where this is documented as I am very interested in reading more about this?

Understood

I don't know how to check whether a CD Rip is or is not bit perfect without the use of an external database...could you please explain to me how to do this?

Thanks for the above URL...I will read it with much interest.

Joel